HELP ! ! ! My dragons ***** is stuck out and won't go back in!?!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
p_i_r_sales
HELP ! ! ! My dragons ***** is stuck out and won't go back in!?!?

Hey everyone,

I have a very serious problem on my hands. I picked up my male "$800 TOP BREEDER" to soak him tonight and it looked like a stool was sticking out of his poop shoot to say it nicely. I tapped on it and it wouldn't fall off. There was some sand stuck to it as well. I then soaked him in some warm water for a good half hour.
I picked him up and it was still there. I very gently moved it around because it no longer looked like a stool. It looked attatched to him. More like his penis. It was very dry on the tip but he doesn't look like he will pull it back into his body. He did go to the bathroom while soaking.

He has never been bred before and is only a little over a year old. He's supposed to breed this next season.

I attatched a photo. It's the best I can get with my camera.

What should I do?

Will he still be able to breed?

Why does this happen?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jerit
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
starwarsdad
I have heard of soaking it it sugar water, but have never tried it myself.

I would get him to the vet.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
monkeywrench133
I'd keep him off sand first of all. Set him up in a separate enclosure temporarily with paper towels or something soft.

I've heard of boa breeders using honey when a male has a prolapse. It keeps the hemipene moist, sterile, and can act as a lubricant to help it retract.

But that's a band-aid solution, you need to get him to a vet ASAP.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yes, a vet visit is warranted.
IF you cannot get him in today soak him in sugar water, it is pretty effective. It will help to get the swelling down. Dissolve sugar into warm water, then, add some cooler water to help with the swelling.
Then, you can get some vaseline or ky jelly to GENTLY lubricate the hemipenes. If the swelling goes down he may be able to bring it back in.
The causes of hemepenis prolapses are not always known. The most common reasons are breeding too early, calcium deficiency which will cause straining, or dehydration.
I hope he will be ok. As long as he does not have to have a surgery to remove it, he should be able to breed.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_i_r_sales
[size=4][size=4]$800 TOP BREEDER

Quote:
He has never been bred before
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...searchid=29503

Problem after problem after panic filled problem. Maybe you shouldn't own animals.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
p_i_r_sales
Hey there,
I'm getting him into a vet later this afternoon. I called the reptile vet last night and he said to use KY to help with it going back in. He also said to try and help push it back in. I guess this has happpened any many cases where he has had to do this.
Anyway it did go in most of the way. I can barely see it now through the vent.

I have him sitting in a large plastic tub with no substrate. He's never been with a female before, his cacium levels are great and he shouldn't be dehidrated as I soak him twice per week until he wants out of the tub.

I'll add to this once I get back from the vet today. Thanks for all the posts and advice! It's been alot of help!

Jerit

NOTE: to Seamus Haley............
"Problem after problem after panic filled problem. Maybe you shouldn't own animals."

What's your problem?

How is it that I have problem after problem? I've never have a problem and when I do I get on Fauna and start a thread hoping that some nice person that has had the same PROBLEM that I'm having will share some advice. Not crack jokes.

This is the first problem I've ever posted here or anywhere for that matter. The only other threads I've started were simple advice or questions that I had.

Ground Turkey?
Egg Incubation?
Calcium.... Egg shells Ok?
and a few other simple questions.

No problems. Maybe your confusing me with someone else.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
p_i_r_sales
Ok...... False alarm, wew!
I called vickie dachiu just because my worries couldn't wait until the vet later this evening. I explained what it looked like. She said it was a sperm plug. This happens when they get "happy" and it collects in their vent. Sometimes they can't get it all out and gives us beardie lovers a heart attack in my case, lol. She also said that if it was a prolapse the penis would be a re/purple color. If the penis had died off it would be black.
After soaking him for awhile I should be able to gently pull and it should come right out. I tried that and it came right out. It was white-ish and not really flesh like. More like a speggetti noodle.

Thanks to all that replied and for the advice you've given.

Sincerely,
Jerit

Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I had thought about a seminal plug as well. It was hard to tell from the picture but sometimes prolapses do look like that but more reddish.
I guess his hormone levels have been high! Did you get the plug loosened?
That is awesome it came out pretty easily then. I guess he gave you a huge scare then.
Glad to hear he is fine now.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!