Fat People - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
j tyler
Fat People

I just got back from visiting someone in the hospital. The place was crawling with fat slobs. I am sick and tired of grossly obese women wearing shorts and having their thighs rub together. People in this country are constantly complaining about indecency, but I think having to view these people who are ugly and and don't care about themselves is the most indecent thing we are exposed to.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
ms_terese
Interesting that you mentioned only grossly obese "women".

While I find it sad that some people have allowed their health to deteriorate significantly due to a lack of discipline with exercise or food, I think your post indicates a complete ignorance of obesity and its causes.

You should research the genetics of, and the medical and pyschological causes of obesity before passing judgment on all these "ugly" "grossly obese" "fat slobs".

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your sensitivity to others' struggles is of a level I don't believe I've been exposed to before.

And, no, I'm not obese.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
j tyler
Cause of obesity=eating too much. Why don't you see fatties in third world countries?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Cause of obesity=eating too much.
Not always.

Pretty ignorant viewpoint you have there, but I suppose that you're entitled to an opinion. Just don't be surprised if nobody with a brain respects it.

If the physical appearance of others is such a concern for you, perhaps you should consider... not looking at other people and not placing yourself into a situation where you will be able to see others. You really have nobody to blame for looking except yourself.

What DOES bother me when it comes to weight issues (and other health issues... and even some issues which are linked only in what they have become rather than the root cause) is what they have come to represent in modern American society. The very few individuals who start and/or participate in class action lawsuits against fast food companies, alchohol companies, tobacco companies... blaming outside sources for their own problems, THAT bothers me. I really wish for a return to a time when people could do just about anything they wanted if the only one affected was themselves... and they would put the blame squarely where it belongs. In this day and age anyone who doesn't know that fast food isn't healthy, that tobacco can cause cancer (among other things), that coffee is supposed to be hot and that driving while drunk will eventually cause a lot of damage has serious brain injuries and should really get those figured out before suing everyone in sight because they decided to make some poor choices when it came to their own health.

This is really a beef with the ease at which absurd litigation can be undertaken rather than the underlying problems however. I know that my own physical appearance is far enough from the ideal that any criticism of others on that score would simply be hypocritical and idiotic... Much like j tyler's statements have proven to be.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
Darin Chappell
I am a big guy. Too fat for my own good, but not so much so that people stop and stare as I walk down the street.

However, when I was 20, I was rail thin. All the men in my family are "big guys" as far as the eye can see. When I hit 30, all of the exercising I did was no longer good enough. I quit smoking about that same time frame, and gained about 40 pounds seemingly overnight. Do I need to lose weight? Yep. Am I going to do so any time soon? Who knows? Doubtful.

I just have to wonder how many years Mr. Tyler has completed? Perhaps he is one of those who is always going to be thin throughout life, but it has been my experience that we all tend to get that "middle aged spread" sooner or later. Hopefully, Mr. Tyler will have learned a little about not judging others by their outward appearances by then, and he won't have to run into any one else who has not.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #6
Mercer Don
I feel for the children who are fed fastfood every meal of the day, by their parents, whom are to damn lazy to cook a balanced meal. I feel for the the people with genetic problems who must resort to having their stomachs stapled to restrict food intake or take medications. I pity us "older" folks who must give up, or greatly reduce, our pleasures in life; (Drinking, cheese cake, meat n potatos, etc) just to fit into that 5 year old pair of jeans.

Now, for the "significently over weight" folks, who just don't care about their appearence, and have zero willpower, that is a different story. I have never met a "large" person, who actually enjoyed the way they were. As they are chowing down on their Big Mac w/cheese, extra, extra large fry and diet whatever to drink, they speak of the diet they are going on next week. Quickly, talk changes of where to go after lunch; DQ or that 31 flavors place. Then, off to the grocery store for chips, bon bons and more diet whatever, so they are well stocked for the afternoon soaps and talk shows. My feeling is these folks suffer from a weakness. They see food as a way to escape from lifes troubles. Some drink, some smoke, some find religion. All are means of escaping from the hardship of life, even if only for a moment. Really can't blame anybody but themselves, although they would much rather pass the blame to society or someone else.

Do I enjoy seeing the girl in the half shirt or bikini with rolls a flappin as she walks? Hell no! What about the guy with the belly that hangs down to his knees? Another big hell no! Am I one to judge these folks? HELL NO! Some people are attracted to "large" people. Songs have been written about fat women. Do AC/DC, Frank Zappa, and Queen know something I don't, about "large" love? Bigger the cushion, better the pushin? I wont be diving in with a 2x4 strapped to my a$$ anytime soon!

Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Reptile Locators
Obesity some causes!

Their are many causes for "Obesity"

1) Uncontrolable thyroid gland
which it not always controlable with med's.

2) Deperssion. can cause it,the med's used to treat it as well can cause weight gain.

3) Diabetics can have uncontroled weight gain, even being responcable with all health care to their self.

4) Pear Pressure from children / adults constantly picking at you in school,or the work place just be cause they are judgmental moraless or valueless or holeyer than thou, which can bring on the onset of turning to food or causing depression, Cause. case and point this one can leads to Obesity and in some cases Suicide! you Know the "words of hate" fat girl/boy ugly girl /boy you smell,you stink,your a slob, which are some of the more mileder used words. usualy the people making these remarks are not happy in their own life.

Their are many more reason for Obesity than i know of, but i can tell you i have personaly delt with the loss of my father due to Obesity, He was no SLOB! i grew up with being aroud the public gaucking crud and hatefull remarks and even being beat up by kids because my fathers Obesity just be cause of the common attitude and mentality of crule people. My father died from it because of a thyroid problem that led to other health problems at a young age of 49 yrs of age, even though being treated by doctors for this condition.
I my self do not consider me to be the perfict weight and am most lilkly 40 -50 lbs over what i should be,althoe at the age of 20, I was only 140 lbs soakin wet. but as years and age would have it that is no longer the case
Passing judgement on a person because they offend you with their weight,looks or handicap just showes a lack of moral values and consideration for others not knowing if their problem is medical or other wise

so someone who feel's Obesity is disgusting and dont want to see it should step back and ask them selves this question what if it were my father, mother, brother,sister, Child or even your self would you call them a slob and be offended or try to understand and be concerned and try to help them as much as possible to change what the cause might be think about it talk about it but dont condem a person it till you know the facts.
someone you love may have this kind of problem and who knows they my be here for the next 20 yrs or gone tomorrow you never know.

This is only my opinion and i hope it would be taken to heart for the next time someone who sees obesity and shearly concludes
that they are just slobs

Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
Passing judgement on a person because they offend you with their weight,looks or handicap just showes a lack of moral values and consideration for others
I totally agree with that. Judge people by what they are on the inside, not on the outside. I would be MUCH more offended by a skinny person that acts like an ass and treats people like crap than a fat person that is nice. My mother raised me to judge people by the content of their character, not the way they look. My kids are taught the same thing. That's the way it should be, IMO

Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM   #9
Sybella
Don't forget that women are naturally set up to gain and maintain weight for childbearing, as well as for periods of famine. Unfortunately, our bodies don't listen when we insist that we don't need the extra help anymore! LOL! But, keep in mind that just using birth control, having babies, etc. can add on the poundage like nothing else can. Men have it easy!!

I was a teeny-tiny thing until I had my first child. I have 3 children now and with every one, my metabolism goes on hiatus for 5-6 years. I cannot lose ANY weight until that period has passed. The most frustrating part is that I don't eat. I starve myself and have been doing so for years. A typical day for me is coffee for breakfast, 2 pieces of toast for lunch and a small plate of vegetarian food for dinner. When I do eat like a "normal" person rather than a bird, anything more than 1000kcal a day makes me gain weight. According to the books, a 5' 4" woman should be eating 12-1400 kcals a day but *I* cannot. I watch smaller people than me eat 4 times as much food as I do and stay thin...it's entirely unfair. LOL!

I used to be less compassionate about obesity but now that I've had to struggle for so long, I understand. Things are almost never as "easy" as they appear to be. I hope that you never have to struggle, Tyler.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #10
j tyler
How can you possilbly not judge someone by their looks? Looks are an intrinsic part of you. It makes no sense to suppose that there is a 'special' character tucked away some place that should be the only thing you judge people by. Further more just because someone is a good person does not entail that you should like them. Lots of good people may have no personality etc.There are also 'bad' people that we may value highly. For instance the really great artist who happens to be nasty towards his peers and family.

If you are in a public space and there are, say 25 people, and you are told to pick one to meet and that you will have to spend a great deal of time with that person, and that you only have 30 min. to determine who to choose, which person will you opt for?
I would say: since you don't have enough time to get to know the people in the selection group choose the one you think is most attractive. I assume everyone is a good character until proven otherwise, therefore I will make an initial choice based on looks.
The same in "real life". It takes a long time to get to 'know' someone; therefore make your initial choice based on looks and hope for the best.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!