Virus Alert! Spreading Thru Reptile Community! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Chris@TSE
Virus Alert! Spreading Thru Reptile Community!

Over the past two weeks some of you may have noticed a high volume in questionable emails with attachments and virus infections. Some of which may have been masked to look like they are coming from a domain you may own or friends or business contacts. Some are disguised as returned mails, some simple hello letters or fake bank statements. It does this by reading your contacts and other information on your computer or any computer attached to your network. It then uses that information to mask mails it sends using YOUR compromised system. You could be sending friends, family, and associates virus infected mailings and NOT EVEN KNOW IT!

THESE ARE SPREADING THRU OUR COMMUNITY! WE HAVE RECIEVED HUNDREDS MASKED AS PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS OR CONTACTS IN A VERY SHORT TIME, NEARLY 100 SPECIFIC INFECTED EMAILS DAILY! THIS TELLS US THE NUMBERS OF INFECTED PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITY ARE GROWING, CHECK YOUR SYSTEMS!

Basically, here is how it works.... It is called W32.Mytob.BV@mm or a variable of the same... Some quoted text below from the nortons website:

W32.Mytob.BV@mm is a mass-mailing worm with back door functionality that uses its own SMTP engine to send an email to addresses that it gathers from the compromised computer.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ATTACHED SCAN TOOL AND CHECK YOUR SYSTEMS, THERE IS ALSO A LINK BELOW TO INFORMATION REGARDING THIS THREAT.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...tob.bv@mm.html

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: zip FixMytob.zip (166.3 KB, 73 views)

Old 05-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
hmmm...

Thanks for the 'heads up', Chris.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Heavensent Herps
Thanks!

I got an email saying something about insurance for my domain name... I dunno how the thing new that email was associated with that domain. I deleted it.. was that it?

I'll scan just to make sure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!