A craigslist find: jungle carpet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
akaangela
A craigslist find: jungle carpet

I have a bad habit and it is called surfing craigslist. Well I saw an add posted for a jungle carpet female for $50 so I shot them an email. Now I am a ball python girl and have not had much experience in anything other rat snakes, corns and balls, but I have always loved the way carpets looked. So I decided to meet them and take a look at her. I was very surprised to say she has beautiful color. Not as bright as some I have seen online but she is not faded. The first day I got her she was very nippy. She struck at everything and I let her tag me until she figured out that it was not going to get her anywhere. To be honest the bites didn't hurt a bit. I offered her food shortly after I got her just to see if she would eat. She slammed the rat I put in with her. I then left her alone for almost a week and have just started handling her again. Yesterday she only bit me twice and today she didn't bite me once I think we are making progress. Now I have a few questions

1. I have her in a shoebox at the same temps as my balls, should I give her lower/higher temps?

2. What humidity should I give her. I have read everything from 30% to 75%.

3. How often should I feed her. She is about 2 feet long. They didn't have an age for her.

4. Dose she need a water bowel big enough for her to get all the way in?

5. She is eating rats should I give her one big meal or several small items?

6. How do I tell if they sexed her correctly?

I am sure I will have more questions but that is it for right now. I will post photos this weekend. Thanks

Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
jres
ball temps are similiar to carpets, 85 basking 80 ambient is good

lotta people think carpets need high humidity but they really dont, 60% is good, lot less then balls

feed every 7-10 days

def a water bowl she can soak in

1 meal that is sized right every 7-10 days is best, make sure prey is the size of the thickest part of her body, no bigger.

get her resexed by a someone that knows what they r doing and will not hurt her

post with anymore quest, be more than happy to answer, good luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
fishnfool73
To answer a question you didn't ask, give her something to climb on. All of my morelias from my little diamond to my 8 ft coastal love to climb esp the smaller ones.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
jres
good suggestion, my carpets are as aboreal as my tree snakes ( emerald, amazon and green tree ) very rarely on the ground

Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
fishnfool73
I give them all a hide and plenty of things to climb on. I can always tell when they are hungry as they will be perched in the branches looking around. Once they eat they tend to move under the hide that the heat is under.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
akaangela
Thanks. I will give her something to climb on. I took her out tonight and she didn't even try and bite me. lol she did try and bite the camera. I am an awful photographer but here is a photo of her.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
fishnfool73
Pretty snake. My morelias are my favorites of all I have.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!