Legalities for purchasing Alligators in PA, and OH - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
ApexJake
Legalities for purchasing Alligators in PA, and OH

Hello everyone. after doing some calling around and getting no where i was hoping someone could tell me what the legalities of purchasing a alligator from PA an OH. I need to know if the state requires any federal or state licenses to legally sell crocodila in those states. If you have information please cite your information. thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
bigalosu
Not in Ohio. Ohio only has laws regarding native species.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
ApexJake
that sounds about right for state laws, what about the federal level especially dealing with interstate import/export?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
bigalosu
Ohio's Exotic Animal Law simply states that it is illegal for anyone to bring a non-domestic or exotic animal into the state without the proper permits, a health certificate for each animal and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected. This law also states that anyone who wishes to possess a non-domestic or exotic animal in the state will not need a permit to do so, only to have them imported into the state.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/901:1-17-12

Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
ApexJake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalosu View Post
Ohio's Exotic Animal Law simply states that it is illegal for anyone to bring a non-domestic or exotic animal into the state without the proper permits, a health certificate for each animal and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected. This law also states that anyone who wishes to possess a non-domestic or exotic animal in the state will not need a permit to do so, only to have them imported into the state.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/901:1-17-12
bigalosu. Thats exactly what i need to know and thank you!

Under the conditions on the endangered and threatened species license from NYS DEC they allow you to import, transport, and possess (X animal) obtained from a legal source. Then goes on to say other things you must do within NY after having it. So that wraps up the state to state problem. Now what about federal matters ei The U.S. Fish and Wildlife service and USDA?

From every department in the USDA ive talked to they have nothing to do with reptiles especially crocodilians, but have yet to get the straight facts from F+W.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
ApexJake
question on state to state still stands; you can own it without permit but are you allowed to then sell or resell them without permit?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
bigalosu
No problem. The info is out there, sometimes it takes a little work to find it.
For Ohio, I know it is legal to sell and resell without a permit once they are in the state. I am not sure about PA.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
hhmoore
As far as the Federal stuff is concerned, alligators are not on the USES list, so Federal permits are not required for interstate transport or possession. It's kind of a weird situation, as some CITES 1 animals (crocodilians) require Federal paperwork & others don't (dumerils and argentine boas)...the way it was explained to me was that, initially, all CITES 1 animals went on the USES; but, after a certain revision or year, only US natives that were made CITES 1 got put on the USES list.

For PA, I can't speak to individual/private sales (and don't have time at the moment to look it up), but to sell at a show or bring animals from out of state to be sold, there is a permit required. There are a couple of different ones, and I haven't done a PA show in a couple years - I'll have to dig out my paperwork for the specifics.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
ApexJake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
As far as the Federal stuff is concerned, alligators are not on the USES list, so Federal permits are not required for interstate transport or possession. It's kind of a weird situation, as some CITES 1 animals (crocodilians) require Federal paperwork & others don't (dumerils and argentine boas)...the way it was explained to me was that, initially, all CITES 1 animals went on the USES; but, after a certain revision or year, only US natives that were made CITES 1 got put on the USES list.
DO you have any supporting legislation or can you cite this from any reliable source? Just so the details are clear? thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!