Input needed on "Amazon Basin" for sale - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
2by2
Input needed on "Amazon Basin" for sale

I recently came across this add on kingsnake.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=33&de=393972

I have my own opinions on this "basin" and have contacted the seller about them. The seller also knows about this thread. Any opinions regarding this snake would be much appreciated.....Even obvious ones. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
hhmoore
While I am hardly an expert on Amazon Basin ETBs, that does not look like any that I have ever seen. No sign of any dorsal striping.
There is a locale of ETB that has been imported for a relatively short time (at least that it was identified as such), which features broader and whiter dorsal markings...it seems to run a few hundred dollars more than the more common locales, but only about half the price of Basins - sorry I can't recall the name at the moment.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Neil Gubitz
Sorry, Noah, but I don't see the problem??.... That snake looks EXACTLY like the Amazon Basin's that migrate to Surinam and THEN lose their striping!!.... It's VERY RARE and possibly the ONLY ONE in the country right now.... If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it up before someone else beats you to it!!....

Is this guy for real??.... Does he live in Nigeria, by any chance??.... lol

Neil

Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
2by2
I believe your refering to the New Locality emeralds. You definately dont see them much.....They are from a collection site that apparently is very seldom frequented. These guys usually do command a bit higher price than a normal surinam. Also, the guyana sheilds usually have a bit thicker cross bars. However, their price tags usually aren't that much more.
And as for your opinion neil. You know....I never thought of it that way. I think I'm going to have to go rethink my whole position on this snake. You'v enlightened me!!! Well put sir! lol.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
2by2
By the way, in my opinion that snake does not look like a new locality either. And even if it did.....its not posted as such. just another of my endless 2 cents that I felt were needed.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
STUART
The real way to tell an amazon basin is by .....

Head scalation. The Basins lack the larger scales on the nose of the typical Guyana emeralds. Here are a couple of examples you can check out and see the difference. Notice the Basins smaller fragmented scales on the nose
http://www.corallus.com/caninus/golden_new_002.jpg

Now check out the typical emerald tree boas bigger nose scalation.
http://www.corallus.com/caninus/webcan3.jpg

STUART

Old 03-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
2by2
This exact information was brought to the attention of the seller by myself.....and met with, not exactly a stance that could be considered excepting.....

Old 03-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
TylerStewart
No Way

Noah,

Hey buddy... Just thought I'd chime in on this one and throw out my opinion. My opinion is, it's definately not an Amazon Basin. I actually e-mailed the guy a few days ago telling him that, and got no response (didn't expect one). It's just a Northern emerald and the story is full of holes. Basins would have a cleaner white than that (not the greyish white you see in the pic), and would have at least some defined stripe. Even the new locale animals have a cleaner white than that. Also, even if it was a Basin, the babies would sell for more than the $600 that he claims the babies will sell for. It's almost certainly WC, and because of that, it's unlikely he would know it's 3 years old either. I'm no expert, but this one seemed pretty obvious to me.... Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for that animal, but the fact that it's (likely) WC, and coming from someone who seems so clueless about it, I probably would't take it for free...

Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #9
reptilebreeder
Not surprised about the animal, and not surprised about the responses, or no responses either. Plenty of threads on him on the BOI.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...earchid=265810

Old 03-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
2by2
Hey Tyler,
Thanks for chiming in. Its good to see your into some animals other than chams that i like as well.
As for this animal. I agree wholeheartedly with you. I emailed this guy this mourning just to politely point out that the picture in his add was not a basin. I did get a response. 3 in fact. All arguing his point that it was in fact a basin....or possibly a basin/northern integrade.... I then suggested he post a picture of the animal on an arboreal forum and see what kind of feedback he gets. I even offered to do it for him. Then he proceeded to tell me to "be carefull what I say" because he's already got two $100,000 suits out there and slander would not be tolerated.
My opinion is that animals should be fully represented.....thats all. I'm not sure why the comunity should have to tolerate people who misrepresent their animals.
All I'm trying to do is enlighten this guy. Pretty much thats the only reason I didn't take this to the BOI. I figured other peoples input may help change his mind. No luck yet....

By the way, if anyone is interested in the email corraspondance I've had with him, i'd be more than happy to share.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!