Let's Talk Pits... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite Pituophis???
Northern Pine 25 19.38%
Southern Pine 9 6.98%
Black Pine 13 10.08%
Louisiana Pine 6 4.65%
Bullsnake 48 37.21%
Gopher Snake(I know there are several, so I listed them as one) 28 21.71%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #31
vscampbell
Pituophis

Sorry Jeff, I misspelled you're name with and extra "s". Sticky fingers from basketball : - )

Val

Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #32
Mattcbiker
Wink New owner and already looking for another Pit....

I have owned my first Pit, an Kankakee Bull from John Meltzer for about 3 months now. She has been an absolute darling. She's never hissed or struck, but has rattled her tail a couple times when I shake her out of her hide box, lol. She's about 5 months old now and is a good 24" and has great personality. She's so incredibly relaxed when held it is as if she truly enjoys being held and does all she can do climb back up my arm when I try to put her back in the cage!! I also own an Eastern King and a corn and they are all unique, but I agree that corns are easier to keep than most Pits, BUT are not as interesting for those of us who have been keeping snakes for years.

One thing that is unique to my bull and that I really enjoy is how she wakes up with me when I turn the lights on in the morning (she's in my bedroom). She comes right out of her hide and crawls around and watches me with interest. Can't say that for my corn or king!

I'd also like to introduce myself and say hello. I've been a regular at Kingsnake.com and just discovered this forum....it's setup is MUCH better.

Keep it fun!! - Matt

Old 01-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #33
RNPreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcbiker
I have owned my first Pit, an Kankakee Bull from John Meltzer for about 3 months now. She has been an absolute darling. She's never hissed or struck, but has rattled her tail a couple times when I shake her out of her hide box, lol. She's about 5 months old now and is a good 24" and has great personality. She's so incredibly relaxed when held it is as if she truly enjoys being held and does all she can do climb back up my arm when I try to put her back in the cage!! I also own an Eastern King and a corn and they are all unique, but I agree that corns are easier to keep than most Pits, BUT are not as interesting for those of us who have been keeping snakes for years.

One thing that is unique to my bull and that I really enjoy is how she wakes up with me when I turn the lights on in the morning (she's in my bedroom). She comes right out of her hide and crawls around and watches me with interest. Can't say that for my corn or king!

I'd also like to introduce myself and say hello. I've been a regular at Kingsnake.com and just discovered this forum....it's setup is MUCH better.

Keep it fun!! - Matt
I agree with you on so many levels! This forum is better than kingsnake, but I would have to say that traffic is better on kingsnake. As for the pits vs. kings or corns, yes, I would say mine are more interesting too. I have a pair of northern pines and they are far more interesting than my kings. I wouldnt say that care is too much more difficult, but there is a little difference in there. My kings are only active when they are hungary, my pines are out exploring all day every day, which is pretty cool. One is ok with being held, the other hisses and squirms, but I still like to watch him explore his cage. I cant wait to get more pits!

Old 01-03-2005, 02:10 AM   #34
DISCERN
Thumbs up Hey You Two!!!!!

Great to see Mattcbiker and Metalpest over here!
How are your northerns doing Metalpest?

Yes Matt, you really did it. You went and got yourself your first pit. It is all over now. There is nothing you can do. The addiction is beyond control for anyone getting into pits! LOL! Seriously, I am so into my pits, that for a while, whenever I would buy a snake that wasn't a pit, I would actually feel guilty! LOL!

I remember seeing pics of your Kankakee and really liking it. Actually, it made me more interested to check some out at Meltzer's table in Daytona this year if he has any available at that time.

I do agree that pits do seem to show more ability to be aware of their surroundings. I love seeing my northern pine Solomon raise his body up a foot or so and " inspect" the room when I take the lid off of his cage, scanning the area all around.

This forum is great, but does get less traffic than on kingsnake. The forum over there is great as well, heck, they both rule.

Take care!

Billy Fraser

Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #35
Mattcbiker
Billy - thanks for checking out my photos at Kingsnake. I believe this website will start to grow substantially soon. Kingsnake is long overdue for a makeover!

I'd love to get more snakes, but space is very tight right now, I've got 4 cages in my apartment bedroom already!

I think the only Pits. that I don't admire are the stripped gopher snakes .... everytime I see one I think it's a big garter snake (no disrespect garters are beautiful!!) I'm not a big fan of the albinos but there are some exceptions. My favorites are the pure natural forms of bulls (especially the darker varieties), and all the pines. Capes are probably the most brilliant but I prefer the tough, mean, look of my bull!!

Old 01-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #36
RNPreptiles
Hey Billy! Pines are doing great, Ive been able to get them to eat now. I dont think they like to eat in front of me any more, I dont know why. I placed them in a bucket and they did the same thing they did while off-feed: hissed at the mouse and ran from it. The male followed the mouse without interest, his tounge even hit the mouse a few times, yet he still slithered right past it and when he touched the mouse, he freaked out. I left them both alone for 10 minues and upon return mice were killed but not yet eaten. These were small hoppers, small enough to where they didnt create a bulge, so its not prey size. Im wondering if the undertank is working, the female was pretty cold when I pulled her out.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #37
DISCERN
Nick,

Yeah..sometimes, or actually more than we may think, some snakes do like a lot more privacy when they eat. If they feel that they are being watched, they may either wait until we leave or not eat at all. They are all hyped up from the food smell, but I have had snakes not eat until I leave and turn the light off in the snake room.

You say you placed them in a bucket? Do you feed them in the bucket all the time or in their cage?

If they are both eating, great!!!!!! It can be stressful when they suddenly go off feed.

Later!
Billy Fraser

Old 01-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #38
RNPreptiles
Actually, this was the first time I feed them in the bucket. They had lots of success eating in front of me and even my friends in the cage, but then stopped. They didnt lose any noticable weight so I wasnt worried, but I decided to place them in a bucket a week ago with a fuzzie. Little interest at first, but ate after left alone, then ate the second. This last feeding was a hopper, so they only got one, even though they have taken two hoppers before and even larger prey. They havent pooed out the first meal yet, it seems to take them longer, like a few feedings. Is that normal?

Will the pines eat in darkness? I can see kings doing so, but I though pines were diurnal, and mine are always out in the morning hours and retreat to the hide by the afternoon. The light seems to help wake them up. When my kings used to be in my room and had a nightlight, I could see that they woke up during the night to explore. I wouldnt expect that from the pines, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #39
epidemic
Time of year..

Nick,

You will find that a great majority of native herps, Pituophis spp. included, will go off feed this time of year.
As for feeding in buckets, the majority of University and Zoological entities around the country utilize buckets, and other containers, for feeding purposes, as doing so helps to diminish the feeding response, especially with aggressive feeders, upon opening the enclosure.
Pituophis are fossorial by nature and have no problem locating prey items in the dark.

Best regards,

Jeff Snodgres

Old 01-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #40
RNPreptiles
Thanks for the info Jeff. The pines are still young though and I therefore do not want them to brumate yet. The temp is still in the 70s in the house and there is an undertank heater on 1/4 of the cage set to 82 F, so I thought they may have gone off feed for another reason, as their activity is still very high. The male also sat in the water bowl for 3 days straight, I was thinking it was for shedding or cooling off but no shed (its been a few weeks) and I dont think it was too warm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!