World's Largest Reptile Found in India - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
World's Largest Reptile Found in India

The largest reptile in the world is the estuarine crocodile housed in the Bhitarkanika Wild Life sanctuary in Orissa, India. At over seven meters long, the Saltwater crocodile has found a place in the 2006 Guinness Book of World Records.

The crocodile, which ranges throughout the tropical regions of the Asia-Pacific, occurs abundantly in vast delta regions and estuaries with deep continuous tidal forests.

All three species of crocodiles -- Gharial, Mugger and Saltwater -- in the river systems of Orissa were on the verge of extinction by the 1970s. The crocodiles were very few because of ever increasing human activity in the rivers and in their other traditional habitats.

As a result, in 1976, the state government launched the crocodile conservation program with funds and technical support from the UNDP and FAO through the Government of India, said principal chief wildlife warden Suresh Chandra Mohanty on June 12.

The Gharial and Saltwater crocodile conservation program preceded the Mugger conservation program. Orissa has the distinction of being home for all three species of Indian crocodiles, Mohanty added.

He said that the crocodile population is on the rise. There are 1462 Saltwater crocodiles in Bhitarkanika National Park, which is up from 1358 in 2004, according to the 2006 census.

"Crocodile conservation measures have paid off in Bhitarkanika and it is a great success story," Mohanty said.

Bhitarkanika, which has good mangrove cover and less human disturbances along with a large network of rivers and creeks, is home to 84 percent of the entire present crocodile population.

Thus, over 70 percent of all crocodiles are restricted into only a 30 percent area of the Khola-Brahmani river confluence of Bhitarkanika National Park, said Sudhakar Kar, project head of the crocodile conservation program.

Kar said that wildlife officials spotted well over 60 nests in the estuaries of Bhitarkanika during the census. There are crocodiles up to ten meters long in the sanctuary, added an official.

Link

Old 06-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Rattlesnake
Kar said that wildlife officials spotted well over 60 nests in the estuaries of Bhitarkanika during the census. There are crocodiles up to ten meters long in the sanctuary, added an official.

I doubt that very seriously. I would love to see a croc that is 10 meters long. 30', please, show me one and I will believe it. I can swallow the data about the 7 meter long croc. But certainly not the 10 meter one.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
cornsnakekid92
when they say largest do they mean by mass? because it doesn not hvae the length...

Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Rattlesnake
After a little research, I have come up with the folowing facts.
The Estuarine Crocodile weight and length have been recorded by a group of Herpetologists as:
20.7 ft in length and a weight of 2200 lbs. This is currently the largest recorded croc on record.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!