reptariums or custom built cages? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
ziggy
reptariums or custom built cages?

Hi,

I don't know if this would be the proper place to ask a question like this..

But I really need a much larger set up for my veiled cham. I've already spent quite a bit in cages..I've bought two aluminum screen cages, he's outgrown them both, and I know that he would really appreciate lots of space. His current enclosure is, admittidley, too small for him.

I really like the idea of reptariums, especially the 175 gallon-260 gallon sizes. Really spacious, and I know that my cham would feel a whole lot more comfortable with the extra space. What I like about repatariums the most is, they come a bit cheaper than aluminum screen cages..And, I think in most cases, they are usually more spacious. However, I've been told that there are lots of problems that come along with the repatrium (i.e the zipper comming off of the mesh, crickets eating their way through the screen material, the plastic frames cracking, having to buy a second flourescent bulb etc..). I've also heard of people building their own cages for relatively cheap.

I was just curious as to what you guys use for your chams, custom built or reptarium, and which one you would probably recommend over the other. I was also wondering if anyone would have a good idea as to how much a wooden 24X24X48 cage would cost, if I were to build it myself.

Thanks tons!

Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
jusmebabee
I built mine (ok my wife did) which are 36X18X18 for about 45.00 each. I'm build another today which is 4X2X2 and cost about 60.00. I bought 2 12ft. pieces of wood 10.88 ea, 1 6 ft wood 5.88 (door), roll of 25 aluminum screen 25.00, and the small stuff like hinges, handle, plastic to cover the screen along the edges, and solid bottom cost about 15.00.
I have fun making them (ok watching my wife make them) and I can include braces to wrap the biovine around and hang a plant from the top which you can't really with a store bought scrn cage.
Joel

Old 02-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Dave W.
Howdy Emily,

Building your own gives you the flexibility to use construction techniques that aid in mounting interesting things inside, like Joel mentioned. I'm just not the type to build much with wood anymore. I bought mine from www.cages.net and had them build my 2x2x4 with the optional 1/8" sq plasti-coated screen. I like the screen, it's easy on the feet and less likely to cause toenail damage with the larger 1/8" screen holes. The whole thing with shipping was a bit pricey - over $150. They do ship it in a very strong wooden crate which kept it from getting damaged (The crate took a hard hit but didn't make it to the screen!) Otherwise, the cages from LLL reptile are less money. I also keep seeing these guys: http://stores.ebay.com/Reptile-Haven...Q3amesstQQtZkm on eBay. The cages look the same as the ones that LLL sells. Both of these cages appear to be using the std. small hole screen. Anyway, if you like building your own, I swear that there used to be an article on http://www.chameleonjournals.com about that subject but I can't find it anymore! Maybe it was at: http://www.chameleonnews.com/

Old 02-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
HerpHabitations
This is mike and I also have a veild chameleon. I have him in a 24x24x36 cage and he is quite happy. I built it myself out of wood and screening. To keep the crickets from escapping or chewing the screen I cup feed them. The cost was around $30.00 I own a cage building and design company, Herp Habitations and I can build and ship you a 24x24x48 inch cage for less than $50.00 Please e-mail me at coolgeco1@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Reptayls
Joel ....

Just wondering if you are still using the same design like the one that hubby made and sent to you in 2003??? He sure has made a bunch of wooden cham cages for folks! And us too ... of course.

A lot of folks liked the "dowel across the top for the hanging plant" idea too - we even use it for the red-eyed tree frogs enclosure.

Hope you and yours are well and still doing good.

Morgana & Yosemite
Reptayls, Ltd.
Salem, Oregon

Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
JEFF2662
cage construction

what would you charge to build a cage 72 inches tall by 40 inches deep by 45 inches wide. i also want a door in front that is 48 inches tall by 45 inches wide.
jeff meyer, at indiananinjajeff1@earthlink.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHabitations
This is mike and I also have a veild chameleon. I have him in a 24x24x36 cage and he is quite happy. I built it myself out of wood and screening. To keep the crickets from escapping or chewing the screen I cup feed them. The cost was around $30.00 I own a cage building and design company, Herp Habitations and I can build and ship you a 24x24x48 inch cage for less than $50.00 Please e-mail me at coolgeco1@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
JEFF2662
cage construction

what would you charge to build a cage 72 inches tall by 40 inches deep by 45 inches wide. i also want a door in front that is 48 inches tall by 45 inches wide.
i want it made out of screen so there is good ventilation.
jeff meyer, at indiananinjajeff1@earthlink.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpHabitations