Ed Clark- Sketchy Ad - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Seamus Haley
Ed Clark- Sketchy Ad

There is a thread here- http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=99385

where some discussion arose about the validity of some terms Ed was using to describe the animals he was selling. As the discussion there became a little more heated, a little more ongoing and remained unresolved, I sent a PM to a moderator asking about the line with regards to making posts about a BOI topic in a non-BOI forum; not wishing to break the rule but a little uncertain about where that point was as the responses directly on the ad evolved into a full blown conversation.

A short time after that, the thread was locked and Dennis indicated that further discussion about the possible misrepresentation would be better placed on the BOI.

Apparantly at some point after *that*, Ed (?) unlocked the thread and there were a number of additional responses. Ed also edited the text of his original ad, making much of the conversation it had prompted seem drastically out of context. Luckily I saved a series of screenshots, suspecting it might dissapear or change if it got too heated.

The point of contention basically boils down to using a term which has been coined in association with a phenotype that has an associated genotype when it does not directly serve as an adjective describing the animal's appearance and when it's applied to imported stock with an undetermined background.

There are some terms which directly indicatethe pattern or color that will be seen. Axanthic is an animal without yellow, a genetically unproven animal with no yellow is still an axanthic. Or animals with stripes or spots or unmarked ventral scales are all exactly what they are- there may be an established associated genotype to match the phenotype but the word applies when it applies regardless of the genetics involved.

Then there are terms which have been applied that directly indicate a specific genotype and do not directly describe the phenotype. This is where you find terms like "pastel" and "mojave" and "harlequinn" "motley" and "granite" and "bumblebee" and so on... Some of these are applied before a genotype is identified, however once a genetic cause is determined and the specifics of the dominance are understood, the term applies only to proven animals. It ceases to be an adjective (unless a snake is literally made of stone or formed of bees I suppose) and identifies some very speciifc genetic material that any animals so labeled need to be carrying.

If an animal is mislabeled, it becomes misrepresented. An intentionally misrepresented animal indicates an attempt to defraud a customer. It is a lie specifically set down to gain money through the deceit. Bad guy territory.

In that thread, Ed stated the following "Granites have been proven over and over to be geneticly reproducible." when questioned a little by several watchdog types (I personally came in late after the thread had generated several replies, I just have a longstanding interest in the underlying subject).

As will be plain in the screenshot from his original, unedited Ad he does not directly state that the animals are from unproven stock. He implies it indirectly by listing them as CH imports, but then proceeds to show a series of photos with the improperly applied names plastered all over them in all caps when the terms simply do not apply to the geneotypical unknowns he is offering for sale.

I'm also the last guy in the world who will complain about a seller selling their product for any cost they deem appropriate; high or low if they are honest in their advertisement and practices. These animals Ed is advertising seem to have a substantial markup over what could be considered a market average. When coupled with the misleading terms that indicate a genotype he can not possibly verify, it *seems* like an attempt to scam an unsuspecting or less than knowledgeable buyer out of some extra cash.

Ed basically ignored or dodged the questions he was asked, then edited away the evidence of potential wrongdoing after the thread had been locked by a supermod. During the course of the thread, I was suspicious of wrongdoing but attempted, at least initially, to request an alternative explaination. Since the response was to hide the act, I suppose I got a sort of sideways answer.

At any rate- this is being created more to continue the discussion than anything else. It is a more appropriate forum for it. I cannot honestly call it "bad guy" behavior outright, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, there aren't a lot of non-duck options left.

Small pre-post edit: I had to substantially crop or shrink the screenshot in order to post it within the pixel limitations of the board. I went with cropping since shrinking made the text less legible. I have saved full sized screenshots of the thread up to my first post, I can email these upon request if anyone really needs the rest of the window.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
varnyard
Seamus is correct!! He was selling these as morphs/minor morphs. Captive hatched normal fancy import babies can be bought all day long in large lots for $7.00 each. Ed has edited his ad, it is not the same ad that was first submitted.

Eds quote when asked about this in post# four on the link above:

Quote:
Ed Clark: Sammy, Normals to some. Specials or minor morphs to others. call them what you like.
It is something how it was the seller (Ed) selling them as morphs for $250.00.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
brucestephenson
If you don't like em, don't buy em. You just don't like Ed and are looking for anything to get on him. I have not seen many big name ball python heroes who haven't tried to sell a shitty looking ball python for some outrageous price, usually in the thousands or tens of thousands. Ed's are a good deal compared to that.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Seamus, If you knew anything at all about the captive hatched market you would understand the names on each snake. I did not fabricate these names they have been on these type of snakes for years and seem to be an industry standard. you also will see in that ad were I point out many times that these are recently imported captive hatched babies. when some had questions I edited the ad to make it very clear that these are not proven genetically reproducable. granites have been proven, Harlequins have been proven to be a dominate trait. nothing sketchy about that ad at all.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
nextworld3
Ed can call them whatever he likes (as long as he is not naming them after proven genetic animals)... No where does he state they are genetic...

The fun of these captive hatched animals is to try to prove them out... We name them according to appearance or if there is something out there already like it.

ex. Granite , its just a description of the appearance nothing more... lots of granites are genetic and many are just inheritable, with captive hatched animals you really just have to breed it and see.
Another good one is harlequin, i get asked all the time to do a guide on harlequins but they vary so much and every dealer has a different opinion of how they look so making a guide will be tough... (i will be doing a guide to tame some of the confusion with these soon) So a lot of animals fall under the "Harlequin" type at this time...

If Ed was calling one a Phantom and it wasn't that that would be wrong... but Phantom -like, looking, wannabee, etc. thats all fine... I have been buying every " Phantom like" i can find in hopes that one will prove... its the fun of it!

On to the $7.00 captive hatched... Its just not true! I pay a LOT more for special animals, i just got a c.h. Albino that was almost double the cost of a captive born animal. I got in a snake that was bright pink orange that cost a bunch too... Crates of fancies can run as high as $25 per animal in 500 - 1000 lots (and these are the ones that the Africans think are fancy)... Our importers that we buy these from charge us all kinds of prices from $100-$2000 for ones they think are "special"

Now for the regular c.h. animals... my time is worth a lot to me! So basically if i go through 100 ball pythons and it takes 5 - 6 hours to find 2-5 really special ones... i think i can charge what i want for them... My accountant charges $150/ hour for his service and he dosen't have to get bit by anything

Another thing that $150 - $500 snake Ed or anyone else sells could turn out to be genetic and be worth a WHOLE LOT more to whoever got it!

So i don't see the problem... enlighten me

Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
shrap
First you have the borderline ads here by Ed trying to pass off CH imports as "minor morphs". We all know that they are nothing more than fancy normals that should call for a few bucks more in price. All nice animals do.

Ed also knows that these ads are not fooling any experienced herpers. Experienced herpers know what they really are. Ed is targeting the new people to our industry. What a way to welcome the new folks. For them to get grossly overcharged and deceived by buying fancy normals as "Minor Morphs".

Ed stated way down in the above linked thread that his ad plainly says what he is selling. But that was AFTER he edited the orignal ad. He stone cold lied in the linked thread about what that original ad said. Kudos to Seamus for getting a screenshot of the ad before it was edited. I wish it ended here, but it dont.

A while back Ed made some rather nasty false accusation against Bob Woodard. Things he KNEW were not true just to try and hurt the man and make him look bad. Pretty sad indeed. Ed was proven to be a malicious liar on this occasion too.

Then here in the last day Ed did the exact same thing to me that he did to Bob. Not nearly as nasty a lie about me as was the lie about Bob, but again, the man flat out lied to try and hurt me and make me look bad. And Ed was once again proven to be lying. It is all in this thread here starting with post #170 made by Ed: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...6&page=5&pp=40

And why did he do this? Because I gave him negative karma? Are you kidding me? Over Karma? The man is going to invent stories about people to make them look bad over karma points? That is pretty low down Ed.

Then we have old Ed hijacking peoples ads to try and sell his own animals. Someone had an ad up for a Spider Ball. Ed posted a pic in that other persons ad and said something along the lines of, "that Spider is not nearly as nice as this one I have for sale". You just plain dont do that to other peoples ads. It is wrong.

And while this is really kinda petty and not that big of a deal, Ed also likes to run around and give people warning points for things they did before it was against the rules to do such things. Its kinda like a cop giving you a ticket TODAY for not wearing a seatbelt 20 years ago when it was legal to not wear a seatbelt.

Yes Ed has a long history on these forums of doing some very unethical things. There were a couple of other nice tidbits of old Eds unethical behavior but I am too tired to go searching them out.

You know. when you see just one of these things by itself you dont think too much about it, but when you look at all of them together you begin to see a pattern of truly unethical behavior.

You know Ed, I have talked to you in PM and have tried really hard to like you and get along with you. But your pattern of behavior just makes it impossible to do so. Particularly after you flat out LIED about me. You are a Bad Guy in my book Ed.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #7
nextworld3
So basically your problem is with Ed and not the names of the captive hatched or the prices... Well i cant help with that one...

Old 05-24-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Bobby, as usual you display your ignorance and willingness to attack anyone in your sights. I think everyone can remember you attacking those Bearded Dragon folks with no true information at all. you are a liar and a disgrace to all things good! I would like to purchase from you every Granite, Harlequin, Full Stripe and any other special that I posted in that ad For the $7.00 that you say they can be bought for. Bobby, these come into the country as SPECIALS at great expense and are sold at very reasonable prices for what they cost. I did edit that ad to be very clear about what I was selling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Seamus is correct!! He was selling these as morphs/minor morphs. Captive hatched normal fancy import babies can be bought all day long in large lots for $7.00 each. Ed has edited his ad, it is not the same ad that was first submitted.

It is something how it was the seller (Ed) selling them as morphs for $250.00.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
KelliH
I don't really see a problem with Ed pricing HIS snakes however he wants to.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
shrap
I dont either Kelli, but I do have a problem when folks are less than 100 percent honest in their advertising.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ed clark