Ed Clark- Sketchy Ad - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #41
Bill & Amy
Interesting read about Ed, mites and quarantine.

Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #42
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Bobby, you got ripped off.
I was only charged $15 to buy this CH import female.
Your kidding Right? It is not as Ed states:

Quote:
Ed Clark: Bobby, these come into the country as SPECIALS at great expense and are sold at very reasonable prices for what they cost.
And here I thought I got a great deal when I paid $25.00.
Steve, you had to go and bust my bubble!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #43
bcherps
This thread has many different ideals going on, 1) Fuzzy ads may or may not mislead newbies., 2) pricing, 3) interpersonal communication.

Basically the pricing has nothing to do with it. I can price anything what I want. I could sell an adult albino bumble pied for 2 cents if I wanted-even though it should be in the mid 5 figures, and in turn I could ask one million dollars for my 12 year old unknown milk snake. Any forced conformity of pricing is price fixing-(unless you are on kingsnake). I have female "granites" in my racks that I picked from Ben Seigal in 03 and paid 8 bucks for that I will not sell for $2500 becuase they are super wierd, have 3-4-5 other characteristics, and fit nicely into several projects. If someone offered me 20k for one, that one would certianly be out the door, but that doesn't make me a bad guy, that is just what the buyer was willing to pay.

However, I do have a problem with fuzzy ads, and tend to believe that if people go from nice to attack in 3 seconds that they are usually hiding something.

I do believe that lots of newbies, non reptile specific stores, and seasonal buyers have no idea about the ch ball market. I have been picking for almost 10 years, and picking large numbers in florida for 6, and I still have customers pop up from here, kingsnake, or from my cards on corkboards, that think we randomly get pieds, and albinos in crates. They also think everything weird is reproducable, and that everything new that is proven starts at a 100k. The "quick" money generated by this market has brought lots of people out from the woodwork that don't know about the business.

Possible this and that's belong with people that understand breeding setups, genetics, modifier traits, and have the ability to inbreed and outbreed on a large scale to solidify a mutation. One newbie buying a granite male and 4 normal females is not going to get very far, not see a profit, and get frustrated and get out of the business. Look at how many other breeder groups look down on the ball market becuase they think it is a load of crap. Well, high end monitors exist-look at caramel albino and albino waters and niles. High end boas exist-look at paradigms, and the luecistic. Even corns-which most of them are less than 20 wholesale still generate a multimillion dollar business. No one is harping about these industries because years of the hard work that was put in by serious breeders, and records were kept, and multiple lines established well before the animals got to the public, or homebreeder level.

In balls too many people are using flashy marketing schemes, rushing animals to markets without fully understanding the genotype, guesstimating on traits, writing books with improper genetics, making assumptions about genotypes due to phenotype.

One last statement-if captie hatched yellow belly males are $150, and captive hatched granite females are around $10, then Where O Where are all the EBONIES?

Thanks
ben cole

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #44
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcherps
This thread has many different ideals going on, 1) Fuzzy ads may or may not mislead newbies., 2) pricing, 3) interpersonal communication.

Basically the pricing has nothing to do with it. I can price anything what I want. I could sell an adult albino bumble pied for 2 cents if I wanted-even though it should be in the mid 5 figures, and in turn I could ask one million dollars for my 12 year old unknown milk snake. Any forced conformity of pricing is price fixing-(unless you are on kingsnake). I have female "granites" in my racks that I picked from Ben Seigal in 03 and paid 8 bucks for that I will not sell for $2500 becuase they are super wierd, have 3-4-5 other characteristics, and fit nicely into several projects. If someone offered me 20k for one, that one would certianly be out the door, but that doesn't make me a bad guy, that is just what the buyer was willing to pay.

However, I do have a problem with fuzzy ads, and tend to believe that if people go from nice to attack in 3 seconds that they are usually hiding something.

I do believe that lots of newbies, non reptile specific stores, and seasonal buyers have no idea about the ch ball market. I have been picking for almost 10 years, and picking large numbers in florida for 6, and I still have customers pop up from here, kingsnake, or from my cards on corkboards, that think we randomly get pieds, and albinos in crates. They also think everything weird is reproducable, and that everything new that is proven starts at a 100k. The "quick" money generated by this market has brought lots of people out from the woodwork that don't know about the business.

Possible this and that's belong with people that understand breeding setups, genetics, modifier traits, and have the ability to inbreed and outbreed on a large scale to solidify a mutation. One newbie buying a granite male and 4 normal females is not going to get very far, not see a profit, and get frustrated and get out of the business. Look at how many other breeder groups look down on the ball market becuase they think it is a load of crap. Well, high end monitors exist-look at caramel albino and albino waters and niles. High end boas exist-look at paradigms, and the luecistic. Even corns-which most of them are less than 20 wholesale still generate a multimillion dollar business. No one is harping about these industries because years of the hard work that was put in by serious breeders, and records were kept, and multiple lines established well before the animals got to the public, or homebreeder level.

In balls too many people are using flashy marketing schemes, rushing animals to markets without fully understanding the genotype, guesstimating on traits, writing books with improper genetics, making assumptions about genotypes due to phenotype.

One last statement-if captie hatched yellow belly males are $150, and captive hatched granite females are around $10, then Where O Where are all the EBONIES?

Thanks
ben cole
Great post Ben! As far as the last sentence, I think I can answer it faster than you can find one! But that is a topic for a whole 'nother day!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #45
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
Is that the "minor morph" they are calling the "oddball"?
Yes. AKA Lucky.

She is turning out to be my most expensive $15 purchase ever so she better end up being a "major morph".

Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #46
Ed Clark
I just dont see how this ad in question could be misinterpred as misrepresentation in any way, I stated over and over that the ball pythons in question were recently imported captive hatched imports.

What would be needed to make it clear?...A 2 page disclaimer drawn up by a lawyer?

I dont know, I have always dealt truthfully and honestly with anyone buying a snake?

Most of this thread is personal attacks and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Ed Clark is GUILTY of not playing well with the other boys, thats it.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #47
Golden Gate Geckos
Can't all you MODS issue warning points to other MODS that abuse the warning point system?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #48
AncientDNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Can't all you MODS issue warning points to other MODS that abuse the warning point system?
I believe that's true.
Do you mean you want all 40(or so) of us to ding him for the same offense? That 'might' be going a bit overboard though.
If you look at Ed's warning points, you'll see he's been dinged alot today already.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #49
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
the topic at hand.

Is that what this is, a game you play? I've got some news for you Ed, you've only been playing yourself.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #50
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
I don't find not properly quarantining animals funny.

I don't find shipping an animal with mites to be funny.

I don't find posting on others threads to sell your animals funny.

I don't find placing deceptive ads to be funny.

I don't find spreading untruths about other people to be funny.

And the thing that my off sense of humor should find funny - your meltdown in progress - I actually find quite sad.

Take a break Ed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ed clark