The PROOF that venomoid snakes are not safe!` - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Lucas339
if your buying a vemonoid and handling it then your an idiot and derserve what happens. yes doctors make mistakes and yes there may have been a mistake made here but the enitre point is to lessen the risk of becoming envenomated.

DON'T BE STUPID!!! DON'T HANDLE A SNAKE THAT IS OR ONCE WAS VENOMOUS THATS WHAT IM GETTING AT!!!!!! USE COMMON SENSE

Old 10-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Gary O
Then you also have the fact that a snake like this is producing less venom. Lets say joe gets bit and then does not seek medical attention. It is a void you know. Time is an issue.

This is the unloaded gun. There is no need for this in the hobby. If the person can not take the steps to handle hots then there are tons of nonvenomous to get.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
if your buying a vemonoid and handling it then your an idiot and derserve what happens. yes doctors make mistakes and yes there may have been a mistake made here but the enitre point is to lessen the risk of becoming envenomated.

DON'T BE STUPID!!! DON'T HANDLE A SNAKE THAT IS OR ONCE WAS VENOMOUS THATS WHAT IM GETTING AT!!!!!! USE COMMON SENSE
So let me get this straight....a venomoid should be handled with the same caution and care as a venomous snake, since there is always a risk of envenomation. But wait, let's alter the animal so it has lost the delivery system that evolution has given it to survive and thrive. Seems to me if you are going to use the same protocols for both, why not just let the animal live without the mangling of it's anatomy. As far as I'm concerned, it's cruel. And please don't give me the 'they don't show any signs of pain' argument, because unless you crawl a mile in their skin, you really don't know. IMHO of course.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
MikeCurtin
Thanks for the video...I will be showing it to a friend of mine who has been bugging me for a void cobra (despite the fact that I do not keep, nor have any experience with hots). He has continued to argue with me about the risk, not understanding that there is no way for a keeper (not veterinary) to be certain the procedure has been done correctly.

To make matters worse, his experience is with Ball and Burmese Pythons, and even that is limited. I have worked with some of the faster, nippier Boids and Colubrids out there, but I understand that is not enough to prepare one for keeping hots (or previous hots). In addition, he told me he just thought it would be "cool" to have a cobra he could walk around with.....yeah, that's what our hobby needs!

Bottom line is that if you have such a desire to keep hots, you should be willing to learn the protocol and take all the precautions without having to surgically alter the snake.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
bermrandy
venomoids

for 1 no snake should be walked around anywhere its not a dog,even if it is a venomoid you should keep all snakes indoors,thats the problem with this hobby the wrong person sees something they dont like and then the cops get called and then they want to ban the hobby i like what i do and i like to keep it that way,if people are going to think that way dont even get started in the hobby and do me a favor and stay out of it thank you...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
MikeCurtin
The scary part is that we're talking about a 40 year old man that has owned maybe 3 snakes in his life. This is the type of person that venomoids appeal to many times. He has not done the research, and feels this is a "safe" way to keep a cobra.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
Gary O
Ask him this.

If a any joe blow on the street gave him a gun ans said it is not loaded would he stick it to his head and pull the trigger.

This is not declawing a cat. This is not cropping a dogs ears. YOu say it is but I say I have never heard of a person getting killed becuase a ct is not declawed.

The known is removed from an already dangerous animal.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
MikeCurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
Ask him this.

If a any joe blow on the street gave him a gun ans said it is not loaded would he stick it to his head and pull the trigger.

This is not declawing a cat. This is not cropping a dogs ears. YOu say it is but I say I have never heard of a person getting killed becuase a ct is not declawed.

The known is removed from an already dangerous animal.
I couldn't have said it better. I just made him aware of this video!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
Bill Stonegate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O View Post
Ask him this.

No, he probably wouldn't. Owning guns, and owning hot snakes, are two completely different issues. I dislike this comparison.

I have personally owned guns and ammunition since I was about 12. I have owned hot snakes for just a few years (I am old).

These hobbies both require a high degree self discipline, common sense, and are not for everyone, as the consequences of making a stupid mistake are gravely serious.

That said, I have never seen a gun load itself, and shoot someone. Hot snakes are much more dangerous, because they are totally unpredictable.

I know a lot of people would argue with me on this point (unpredictable).
Reptiles usually ARE fairly predictable. It's the times they are NOT what gets you.

Anyhoo, I have never encountered an unpredictable firearm. I have encountered many reptiles which were predictable 99% of the time. Watch out for that 1%.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #20
Bill Stonegate
PS, I absolutely agree that venomoids should be treated the same as hots, period.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!