IBD Allen belcher/Big daddys wholesale - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #91
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepythons
Please think about this.How long was it before knowingly passing AIDS to others become a Felony?
Indictments for just such offenses have been made and successfully prosecuted as attmepted murder on multiple occasions.

California has a "Willful Exposure Law" which makes it a felony punishable by up to eight years of imprisonment for an HIV-positive person to "willfully expose" another person to HIV through unprotected sex.

Sorry Jim, but I couldn't resist...

Old 11-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #92
The BoidSmith
Disclaimer: My knowledge of legal issues is very limited.

Even after all these years I don’t even know a lawyer personally as I never had the need to hire or consult with one. Having stated again my limitations in the matter, I would humbly suspect that a case of IBD could be far easier to go to trial than one involving genetics (e.g. fake heteros). Infecting a collection of a hobbyist with half a dozen snakes is one thing, but doing it to a well known “full time” breeder with a collection worth six figures is a different story. On the other hand chances are that this last breeder will not be buying from Big Daddy’s Warehouse anyways, as he can get similar or probably even better quality animals straight from another colleague.

Regards.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #93
Chameleon Company
Hey Guys !
Thanks for posting. Without further ado.

I can't argue the scenario that you put out about someone "knowingly" passing on any disease. Joe used AIDS as an example, while others used tobacco and breast implants. Successful prosecutions for AIDS have rested completely with situations where someone knew they had AIDS, and yet did not use protective measures in engaging in sex with a unaware partner, usually deliberately so, to include various statutes now on the books, as JIm O. pointed out. The situation I was referring to regarding Allen, or a more typical low-end wholesaler, had other variables at play that would currently make it a far more difficult prosecution, even in a civil matter. Joe stated a situation of "selling snakes that might possibly have IBD", in itself a bit of a misnomer, as all boids can be assumed to have it, and it would lie in a situation of a vendor's animals being more likely to have it. I am disregarding someone claiming to have performed a test, or claiming as a part of the sale, that the animal purchased does not have IBD, as that would create a clear misrepresentation for that specific animal, and more easily prosecuted. With the only true determination being a $200-300 test, I do not believe it possible to buy or deal in the low-end market and buy a snake for $50 that comes with test certification. I do not think anyone has ever been successfully sued for giving someone else AIDS when the original carrier was unaware that they had it at the time. Blood banks etc have been sued, but usually because they violated their own established protocols, if not actual statutes. Prior to the existence of such protocols, I don't think anyone was able to hold blood-banks liable.

As it comes down now, and I would again try to keep the example focused on someone dealing with high volumes of low-end animals, there are no protocols to keep IBD from passing through. If someone were to have known that it had passed through, it would then become an issue of whatever "reasonable precautions" they took afterward. As it stands right now, we know that IBD can defeat some of the most stringent safeguards and quarantines. A successful civil prosecution would have to show that the vendor had some obligation to high standards that may not be effective anyway, and then show negligence against these protocols. A defense would argue for it to be shown that the vendor did not do something that would have been deemed prudent or reasonable, prudent and reasonable according to whom, and where's the existing standard. A defense would also argue that the current prime accepted protocol is quarantine on the part of the buyer, and "buyer beware". My point would be that, as it now stands, it would be a very difficult case to bring.

Advance the scenario. With a confirmed or suspected IBD, a vendor now halts sales and quarantines all animals for 3 months. Disinfects and cleans everything. Manages to have 8-10 animals randomly tested. Brings in new animals to the "clean" area. Sells a new animal after a meticulous cleaning. Dies of IBD. Obviously, this vendor would have a better case against any negligence claim, but yet the disease still spread. The protocols were inadequate.

On top of it all, the plaintiff would be trying to establish that the IBD came from the vendor, and not from some other source. Being as we currently know so little about it, it won't be easy.

As for tobacco and implants, I would agree if they were just used as an example that "anything can happen over time". Agreed, someday I believe there will be more statutes in place in order to successfully prosecute an "IBD Mary", as in "typhoid Mary". Otherwise, the parallels do not work for me. Tobacco got nailed for down-playing the risk of their product while having evidence to the contrary. Tobacco was the causative agent. Same with implants. Boids are not the causative agents here. A poorly understood, highly lethal, and highly contagious disease is. I'll throw in another example. The FDA allows a very small amount of rodent feces to be in our food products, as they know it cannot be 100% eliminated.

One possible angle now would be to try to establish that current husbandry conditions violate existing statutes, which may have contributed to the spread of the IBD, and that the vendor is then 30% liable or something. Most current wholesale husbandry conditions are pretty rough, but that would be an avenue to pursue.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It would come down to what did the vendor know, when did they know it, did they ignore accepted safeguards (or laws as eventually caught up with AIDS), were they reasonably prudent, negligent, etc. Behind it all, the defense will be continually driving home the point that apparently the buyer's quarantine procedures were no more effective than the seller's, and is the seller obligated to a higher standard of quarantine than the buyer ? A difficult row to hoe IMO.

Dan, your unfamiliarity with attorneys is to be commended, BTW ! Now lets get REAL !!

Old 11-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #94
Wilomn
How about knowing that you are doing a wrong thing? How about that?

All other arguments aside, even the suspiscion of it warrants testing and once proven to be in a facility, IT IS WRONG TO CONTINUE TO SELL ANIMALS OUT OF THAT FACILITY.

Plain and simple, it's not right.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #95
Chameleon Company
We agree Wes, and I thank you for the civility. While I mentioned it in the other thread, I do want to clarify once again.

Allen has a definite ethical and economic obligation to be very pro-active with this. His legal obligation is a distant third IMO, but a few of us enjoyed tossing it around. His ethical obligation would be to suspend all sales of any animals remotely connected to his possibly contaminated facility. A thorough cleaning, review of protocols, and what limited testing he could afford, would be a minimum. His specific actions, if and when he comes back to market, will depend on the situation there. How he chooses to attempt to restore customer confidence certainly has to be addressed if he expects to stay in business at or above recent levels.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #96
bcfos
Little update being that the Dixie show was yesterday and Allen was there. Seems he was pushing rodents this go around. Had a couple of people tell me they saw him cut up one mouse to feed to the others. Not exactly something one would want to do at a show where small children are present. Plus his rodents looked awful covered in piss and poop. And seems he has been calling around saying another rodent supplier is going out of business trying to get an outlet for his rodents when in fact this supplier is going as strong as ever. This based with the other facts we know about Allen I just don't think he gives a rats ass about this hobby at all.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #97
TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Company
..... His specific actions, if and when he comes back to market, will depend on the situation there. How he chooses to attempt to restore customer confidence certainly has to be addressed if he expects to stay in business at or above recent levels.
Jim. Not sure if the above is hypothetical, or if you are saying he has suspended sales. Can you clarify? Thanks

Old 11-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #98
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I'll throw in another example. The FDA allows a very small amount of rodent feces to be in our food products, as they know it cannot be 100% eliminated.
Jim,

Do you know this for a fact? Could you provide me with a reference? I like to be on top of current regulations as I'm involved in aspects dealing with the food chain. That has escaped me.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:56 PM   #99
Chameleon Company
Tom O.,
I have no knowledge of how Allen has handled this except what is in the threads here. I was saying that it would be prudent and ethical to do so. I have no inkling that he has suspended sales, although Brian just saw him at a show yesterday, and maybe could clarify for you.
Dan, I do not have the current allowances in front of me, and might get around to spending the time to look them up. Those that I was familiar with dealt primarily with bulk dry foods, such as grains and cereals, and date back to the 90's when I owned restaurants. I raised it only as a peripheral point to show that there are contaminants where the FDA recognizes that absolutes are not realistic, and that in the future, statutes and legal defenses will also recognize that IBD can exist where no party was negligent. Am certainly not saying that all IBD will be OK either .... far from it.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #100
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Jim,

Do you know this for a fact? Could you provide me with a reference? I like to be on top of current regulations as I'm involved in aspects dealing with the food chain. That has escaped me.

Thanks.
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html

I hope you have a strong stomach.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!