Steps To Become Fedex Certified!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #11
pcsmicro
Brian - Good point

Everything you stated makes alot of sense to me. And Thanks, I hope the makes it OK tomorrow as well.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #12
Joel R
The coincidence factor

I have been using Airborne for about a year now. Now I haven't had any problems while shipping Lizards but once I started sending snakes, hmmmm???.
I have heard a ton of horror stories with Airborne & snakes, but very few, with lizards.
I wonder if they are scanning them, & when they see it's a snake, they treat it in a different manner? Kind of like saying "we'll show them"

With that said,, Have you done the "contract" for shipping live animals? Perhaps that's why Mr. Brown said no animals?

Brian is totally right,, we do need to act professional & treat people professionally. It will only take a few bad apples to screw this up. lol
Also keep in mind, they ship thousands! of things a day & things will be misplaced from time to time & just because ours are live, that doesn't void ours from the mishaps.

Also,,, I do personally know a guy who must save the couple $$ and uses the US postal service. Every single time he has shipped, they have been 2- 3 days LATE! I'm sorry, but that is just not worth the risk to me. Especially when your sending out animals in the $1700. range. lol I would like to see an insurance claim paid in that amount.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
Brian Oakley
You are correct, Joel. THings willbe late form time to time, just the way it goes.
I SWEAR by Delta, but I have had thigs late with them before as well. I shipped out a boa a couple months ago. It was sent Dash, not only did it not make the flight it was supposed to be on, it missed the next one as well. It DID get there the same day, but my customer had to sit at the airport for an additional 3 hours to wait for each flight in case it showed up on one of them. FRUSTRATING? Yes. Does it happen? To ALL carriers!

The answer is, ship it the best way you can. Use the smallest (as mentioned) box you can that will still be safe so the snake is not crammed in there and can still move a bit if it is in a bag. Deli Cups or that style of sup (even if bigger in size) if the best way. You can ship more snakes in a organized manner in a smaller area than one might with the same number of snakes in bags.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:40 AM   #14
Bob Garby
I have been a UPS shipper and have been fairly satisfied with the service provided. However, I am more than willing to switch to Fed Ex if they are actually making an effort to get the reptile business.

One of my first UPS shipments was returned to me with little warning. I was at work and checked the status of my shipment on their website only to see "returned to sender". This was a major hassle as I had to leave work to avoid having the package sit in the sun all day (it was summer). When I received the package I found it was returned due to "no air holes". I use very well insulated boxes and hate the thought of ruining that level of insulation by poking holes through the sides. I know there is enough air in the box to keep a small reptile alive for a week or more. Since they provide no guarantee of live arrival, I want to package the animal in the manner I know offers the most protection.

When you provided a sample box to Fed Ex, did you have holes poked through the walls?

Bob Garby

Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 AM   #15
dwedeking
No holes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
fedex certification, fedex waiver