One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #101
walker75
Also I forgot to ask how many breeders have you lost over the years that you have been breeding

What are there Names if you can remember so others will know check to their animals for Adenovirus

As the testing is expensive and you may have not wanted to pay for that out of profits...

Others have named the dragons that have it so people could test there animals and see even though they the new owner has to pay for the test

These include new breeders pet owners like myself and hobbiyst

Other breeders have said they closed there Colony to contain or will never sell them and keep ONLY as pets.

Just another HUGE can of Worms I am sure of it

Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #102
Tere Salazar
You know, I was wondering about something very similar. Why is it that a few who have disputing the testing feel they have the right to get on here and grill those of us who have shared our results, with regard to our husbandry, as well as our test results, but never quite make the point it would appear they are trying to make.

As far as husbandry for my dragons, I am sure you could find mine closely follow those of the best care sheets out there, as I thought I had learned from the best in the business.

I cannot say that I've differed the husbandry I've offered my adult dragon who has Adeno and the parvo like particles, simply because he doesn't have the runs, smelly poo, parasites, or anything else that suggests he requires addititional support at this moment. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The babies were a different story. The ones that died came out of the egg struggling, and most never ate from the day they hatched. A few did eat at most 1 or 2 crickets after hatching, then never ate again. I treated those babies exactly as I do all the other babies, mist them 3 times a day and offered them salads and crickets, usually to turn around later and throw the plates away and dispose of the uneaten crickets.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #103
whiskersmom
I can't understand why all the questioning, either. I myself, couldn't care less where this started or who started it, what I do care about now is that it's here and there are big breeders who think that they shouldn't have to test because it's "their right". It's not your right to knowingly or unknowingly contribute to this virus infected population. Yes, it is the individual's right to not test if they are not going to breed. But if you are going to breed and sell these dragons to the public, then you are obligated to test. You know that this virus is out there (and I don't care how much we know about it or how it's transmitted or what it ends up doing or how many dragons have it or corona or parvo - you know it exists) and therefore you should be morally obligated to test. If you don't want to test, stop breeding...it's real simple.
You are coming from this at a business standpoint, not a keeper who loves their pets and feel cheated and lied to about getting a healthy beardie. You have no right, whatsoever (and this is coming from a consumer), to sell dragons that you don't have a clue if they are infected or not.
I have to agree with Walker.....why all the protests? What are you trying to get around? And why???

Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #104
shadi11
Here are my results as well. I also show the parvo like virus in 3 dragons.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Laura__1-27-07.pdf (296.1 KB, 37 views)

Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #105
pdragon
First off I would like to thank those that are posting their results. The reason why I'm asking about other viruses found in beardeds, is that it is going to be extremely difficult to tell if adeno affects dragons when other factors are involved. Added to the list of factors is: parvovirus, dependo, calci, coccidia, parasites, and stress(husbandry, diet, etc..) Further testing may also result in more viruses. Where does it say that coronavirus doesn't affect beardeds? Once again, it is an opinion not fact. It also would have been nice Cheri to have disclosed this info along with everything else. A few months have gone by, and no word of other viruses involved? I also want to know if dr. jacobson is really aware of what's going on. Does he know his paper has been edited? Does he know other viruses are involved? Does he know that information about his personal life have been posted?
The info about the history of the transluscents is to the best of my knowledge, and experience. If I were to say that I didn't have problems in the beginning, I would be lying, and witholding information. If you look at the dog world, mammals, cats, fish( fancy goldfish, betta's) you can see a major comparison. Ever wonder what the person(s) went through to produce hairless cats and bubble headed oranda's? Think about the color lines of beardeds, and pastels. You think that the first person who started pastels magically hatched an entire clutch of unrelated ones? Josh

Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #106
mikey
Vicki, Thank you for your honest response. I think you all that are now questioning Dachiu's stance, should be instead trying to enlist a major breeder into helping solve this problem. I am not taking sides and I was very upset with Sunshine and how he handled his situation. But you have Dachiu that is asking hard questions, looking and questioning data, and is interested in the whole adenovirus situation. Set up a website so all can share and be informed of the lastest data, start raising funds for research. I heard somewhere the figure of $66,000. Take a proactive stance instead of all the finger pointing. How many people have you referred to Beautiful Dragons website for Nutritional Content. I know I have pointed many people. If people have a place to share and learn, without being accused, you might get many larger breeder's to come aboard. I have not owned dragons for 2 years due to health, but I know I would contribute to this cause. The problem will not go away without ALL of the bearded dragon community coming together, not apart.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #107
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Vicki, Thank you for your honest response. I think you all that are now questioning Dachiu's stance, should be instead trying to enlist a major breeder into helping solve this problem. I am not taking sides and I was very upset with Sunshine and how he handled his situation. But you have Dachiu that is asking hard questions, looking and questioning data, and is interested in the whole adenovirus situation. Set up a website so all can share and be informed of the lastest data, start raising funds for research. I heard somewhere the figure of $66,000. Take a proactive stance instead of all the finger pointing. How many people have you referred to Beautiful Dragons website for Nutritional Content. I know I have pointed many people. If people have a place to share and learn, without being accused, you might get many larger breeder's to come aboard. I have not owned dragons for 2 years due to health, but I know I would contribute to this cause. The problem will not go away without ALL of the bearded dragon community coming together, not apart.

Agreed.....but she's considered a good size breeder, right? Why isn't she testing? And if she doesn't trust the testing procedures or results, how about not breeding until she does? Just because the 'hard questions' haven't been answered doesn't mean we keep heaping fuel onto the fire. We know it's out there but there is a test for it, so test. Don't want to test, then don't sell them. It's simple.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #108
mikey
I think right now testing 2-15 adult dragons and offspring is a no brainer. But testing 100+ adults and 1000+ babies, I don't know. I try to put myself in the larger breeder's situation and I am not sure what I would do at this point. There is a huge difference between spending a 1000 dollars and hundred's of thousand's of dollars to test with most data that shows "we do not know at this time." Does a once postive dragon always stay positive? Vicki has stated she has a dragon that tested postive and has now tested negative- multiply times. Why? Having a large breeder to share data is priceless, in my opinion. I think it is a step in the right direction that breeder's put on their website that they are not testing for adenovirus. At least the general public knows they are not testing at this time and can make the decision to test on arrival. I also trust Vicki would not sell outward looking or suspected sick dragon's. I do not trust Bruce at Sunshine would do the same. He knew he was losing top breeder's, from all accounts, and had a huge problem but continued to deny and to sell. That I think is totally wrong. And I think most people can see the difference between the two breeders.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #109
whiskersmom
If you're correct and there are 100+ adults and 1000+ babies in this stock and it becomes infected, but no tests are run and the babies are sold...where do you think these infected babies will go if they survive? Into the public and that's not right. So, it still boils down to money, right? I'm sure that's the reason Bruce did what he did, for the money, because he certainly didn't do it for the species.
Honestly, I will not put myself into a breeders place and try to empathize with how it would feel to have to fork out the money to have all of their breeders tested....if they are going to sell the offspring of these breeders, then they need to be tested. I'm sure they will make back the money off of the Adeno negative babies, and then some. Besides, this was the chance they took when they started these businesses. It's no longer about them, it's about this species and what the experts are telling them; don't breed and don't sell if they are positive....how do you know if you don't test?
What happens when there are no more non infected beardies in captivity....I'm sorry, I don't want to be known as the generation of keepers that allowed this to happen.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #110
Drache613
Hello

Hello,
I have been following this thread & it boils down to just one question, do we want the species to survive here in the United States? If so, then, we have to be responsible & just TEST!!!! That is what this post is about, not who started what or when really, but the immediate problem that is at hand now.
All I have to say is that it is truly a shame that humans seem to exploit almost any species we get our hands on to use for our gain.
Steve Irwin's land down under is the country where these beautiful creatures inhabited before we brought them over here & ruined them & now that he is gone, we should be ashamed of ourselves in the manner that we have treated them, as I am quite sure he wouldn't be happy about it at all.

That is all I have to say about it. Please just test your dragons, & if you have to cease breeding then so be it, after all, the love & preservation of the species is what matters, correct?

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!