Box turtles in the temporary pond - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
WebSlave
Box turtles in the temporary pond

Whenever we get heavy enough rains, we have a low area out by our large bamboo grove that will form a temporary pond. Seems like the box turtles just love this pond, because invariably we will find one or more in the water, often bumping together. Not sure if it's a male or female with the pair this year, or two males just fighting for ownership of the pond.

I also took some video that I will post later on.

Both pics and video were taken with the Sony RX10 IV.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Very cool.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
WebSlave
Here's the video I took of this encounter with the box turtles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKFvyEZHO44

Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Randall Turner
That is great. I love box turtles.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, I wish we had more of them around here. Those and the gopher tortoises. Haven't seen a large tortoise around here for a long time. We have a burrow that a small one has been living in that still looks active, at least last summer, but haven't seen any activity there this year so far.

I guess fire ants make it pretty tough on box turtles and gopher tortoises. Closing up in their shell when they cross a fire ant mound and get the first stings doesn't work out too well for them, I would imagine.

We try to stay on top of the fire ant problem with Amdro as much as possible, but I'm not sure it is even possible to eradicate that pest completely.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!