Best Fish for Small Children.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
dragonflyreptiles
Best Fish for Small Children....

I got a new 10 gallon bow front tank from Paul Sage that I planned on putting pygmy chameleons in but before it got here I showed a picture to the kids and Cody screamed "I want fish for my room",tThen Emily joined in with the fish screaming. So they get fish!

I was thinking a cory cat and a couple of swordtails maybe...

Ive never done small fish, manily oscars so I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on something that has color that would be good for a childs fish tank before I go shopping tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Fancy tailed guppies are a good fish for small tanks and children. They have beautiful tails also.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I remember seeing those, they are pretty, thanks!

I want them to have pretty fish so they don't get bored looking at them, after all Im giving up my pygmy cham tank for them to have fish lol

Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
SPJ
You could go with a male and 2 female bettas as well as some cherry barbs.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
More ideas, thank Steve, my father has a male betta that my kids love, he is alone in one of those 5 gallon with the plant on top tanks. They love him so Im sure they would like to have one of those with a couple of girls!

Ill see if they have the cherry barbs too!

At least I can show them what they can possibly have to look at now!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
SPJ
Here is a link with profiles on several different FW fish.
This may help when deciding on what you want to go in the tank.
http://64.191.28.50/species/fw-ae.shtml

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Lucille
Now I want pygmy chameleons, they sound interesting....

Old 04-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
Thanks Steve, Ill do some looking at that.

I know the general rule is 1" of adult fish per gallon and this tank was planned for somethign else, and Ive never done small fish other than a goldfish in a 5 gallon.

I want them to have something nice and colorful!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
dragonflyreptiles
Oh Lucille I love pygmys, but as we all know we love our children more, if Paul had 2 of the tanks Id of bought 2 but he only had the 1 and my kids, well you know, they want what they call "fishies".

Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
SPJ
Some of the female bettas are extremely colorful and rival the males except for the fins but they are low maintenance and good for a kids small tank.
You could also go with Von Rio tetras. Small and pretty. Brass tetras are also really cool looking and since they are small, a school of a dozen would look really good. They would give a nice contrast in tank.
There are a lot of really colorful fish out there and deciding on what to get is going to be tough. LOL.
I would say try some killifish but they are shortlived, expensive, and not exactly easy to keep so even though the colors are phenomenal, it wouldn't be worth it unless you wanted to dedicate a large tank just for them.
Just stay away from painted glass fish and painted tetras.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!