Shipping frogs through USPS? Lacey Act - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
packer43064
Shipping frogs through USPS? Lacey Act

Hey all, I have some questions.

First one is I will be shipping out ACF's (African Clawed Frogs) as feeders to larger fish. I will be using USPS for the most part. So from this Lacey Act I have to label what I have in the box if it an animal right? Can I print off 5 font off the computer and write Xenopus Laevis-25 and call it a day? The 25 is how many is in there.

Also since these are harmless frogs it is legal to ship through USPS? What about the other carriers...UPS Fed-EX?

Thanks, Jeff.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
packer43064
Also do you have to walk in and drop it off if it's a live animal? I mean I've shipped things of course and I just drop it off in the drop off box inside the office. Can it be done the same?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
blackandblue_lulu
I wonder about this too. Do you go straight into the post office and request one day shipping for the animal.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Lucille
525 Nonmailable Live Animals

Nonmailable types of animals discovered in the mailstream must be reported to the PCSC in accordance with the instructions in POM 139.118. Additionally, the mailer and the post office of mailing must be notified to prevent future shipments from being incorrectly accepted for mailing.
525.1 Live Birds

Live birds, other than the type of day–old poultry specified in 526.31, are nonmailable. In addition, day–old poultry vaccinated with Newcastle disease (live virus) is nonmailable. The following are some examples of nonmailable birds:
Canaries.
Cockatiels.
Finches.
Parakeets.
Parrots.
Adult birds, except those specifically permitted under the conditions in DMM 601.9.3.4 and 601.9.3.5.
Be aware that the preceding list is not all–inclusive. Generally, all types of birds not listed in DMM 601.9 are nonmailable.
525.2 Live, Warm–Blooded Animals

The following are examples of other live, warm–blooded animals that are nonmailable:
Cats or kittens.
Dogs or puppies.
Guinea pigs.
Hamsters.
Mice.
Rabbits.
Rats.
Squirrels and flying squirrels.
525.3 Reptiles

All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.
525.4 Poisonous Insects and Spiders

All poisonous insects and all spiders, except scorpions under limited circumstances (see 526.5), are nonmailable. Other nonpoisonous and non–disease–conveying insects are permitted as stated in DMM 601.9.3.9 and in Exhibit 526.6.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
snowgyre
So because there is no such thing as a poisonous reptile (you can eat them all!), I guess that means we can ship pretty much anything!

Pet peeve of mine when people don't know the difference between venomous and poisonous. I honestly doubt, as worded, the USPS's rules here will hold up in court if challenged.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
charlie476
Just be careful when using the USPS Express Mail there are a decent amount of locations where its not overnight service. Some places you ship to will take 2 days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!