How do you ship roaches? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
raphael1047
Question How do you ship roaches?

I will hopefully be shipping dubia roaches in the near future and was wondering how to ship them. I have an idea, but kind of hesitating. I was thinking either a box inside another box or a deli cup inside a box, which way is better? Any input would be appreciated!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Spyral
It would depend on how many you are shipping. A small amount (50-100) you could use deli cups. If multiple hundreds to thousands, the well-sealed box within a box is a good way to go. Be sure to tape up all the outside edges of the inner box so they can't get out of the seams. Use egg crate or other cardboard inserts so the roaches have something to hold onto during shipping.

It might also be good to place instructions on how to unpack the roaches taped on the outside of the inner box, just in case. Generally we have the roach tub set up and then take the inner box and open it up inside their new home and then use the egg crate/cardboard to transfer the majority of the roaches out of the inner shipping box into the new enclosure. Then just shake the inner shipping box thoroughly. I would have a separate tub to put the shipping boxes in JUST IN CASE there are any stow-aways. Since I mostly get lateralis and live in a warm climate, I don't want to risk any escapees!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
raphael1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
It would depend on how many you are shipping. A small amount (50-100) you could use deli cups. If multiple hundreds to thousands, the well-sealed box within a box is a good way to go. Be sure to tape up all the outside edges of the inner box so they can't get out of the seams. Use egg crate or other cardboard inserts so the roaches have something to hold onto during shipping.

It might also be good to place instructions on how to unpack the roaches taped on the outside of the inner box, just in case. Generally we have the roach tub set up and then take the inner box and open it up inside their new home and then use the egg crate/cardboard to transfer the majority of the roaches out of the inner shipping box into the new enclosure. Then just shake the inner shipping box thoroughly. I would have a separate tub to put the shipping boxes in JUST IN CASE there are any stow-aways. Since I mostly get lateralis and live in a warm climate, I don't want to risk any escapees!
Thanks for the info. I will give unpacking instructions to who ever buys from me, good idea!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
charlie476
The best way is to double box them. Put egg flats in the inner box then put them inside and seal it up. Don't forget to write loose inside on that box. Then place that box inside another box just large enough to hold that box. That away it will prevent and possible escapes incase the box gets damaged in transit.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
raphael1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie476 View Post
The best way is to double box them. Put egg flats in the inner box then put them inside and seal it up. Don't forget to write loose inside on that box. Then place that box inside another box just large enough to hold that box. That away it will prevent and possible escapes incase the box gets damaged in transit.
Thanks of the advise, appreciate it. This was my plan from the beginning, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
jmp745
I've been kind of wondering about this as well. We have only been shipping babies so far 1,000 at a time, and putting them in a large deli cup with some pieces of egg crate. But now its getting cold (we're in MI) and I'm not sure what to do about that. I've gotten beardies shipped during winter and they come in a cooler with a heat pack. But for roaches I'm not sure if the cooler would make it not cost effective to sell them during the winter. Where do people get those styrofoam coolers that seem to fit perfectly in the shipping box? expensive?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!