Mailing tortoises? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Lucille
Mailing tortoises?

I just had someone tell me that the fact that it is illegal to ship turtles USPS does not apply to tortoises. Opinions?

525 Nonmailable Live Animals

Nonmailable types of animals discovered in the mailstream must be reported to the PCSC in accordance with the instructions in POM 139.118. Additionally, the mailer and the post office of mailing must be notified to prevent future shipments from being incorrectly accepted for mailing.
525.1 Live Birds

Live birds, other than the type of day–old poultry specified in 526.31, are nonmailable. In addition, day–old poultry vaccinated with Newcastle disease (live virus) is nonmailable. The following are some examples of nonmailable birds:
Canaries.
Cockatiels.
Finches.
Parakeets.
Parrots.
Adult birds, except those specifically permitted under the conditions in DMM 601.9.3.4 and 601.9.3.5.
Be aware that the preceding list is not all–inclusive. Generally, all types of birds not listed in DMM 601.9 are nonmailable.
525.2 Live, Warm–Blooded Animals

The following are examples of other live, warm–blooded animals that are nonmailable:
Cats or kittens.
Dogs or puppies.
Guinea pigs.
Hamsters.
Mice.
Rabbits.
Rats.
Squirrels and flying squirrels.
525.3 Reptiles

All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.
525.4 Poisonous Insects and Spiders

All poisonous insects and all spiders, except scorpions under limited circumstances (see 526.5), are nonmailable. Other nonpoisonous and non–disease–conveying insects are permitted as stated in DMM 601.9.3.9 and in Exhibit 526.6.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Teatime
Interesting. It definitely seems to allow them going by the words alone, since that one sentence is very cut and dry. It doesn't give examples like the birds and live warm-blooded categories. I don't know how well I'd trust their classification system though. The policy doesn't include amphibians at all, yet I'm sure you get some laypeople who would consider them "reptiles" ... It also doesn't seem to include live fish for some reason although I would think they'd be kind of difficult to mail.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Lucille
His note to me:

" The Post Office doesn't consider tortoise's turtles.

The Post Office doesn't allow water turtles to be shipped due to the spread of salmonella during the 80's.

I have been shipping tortoises through them for quite some time with their knowledge and have had no problems. "

Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Shadera
Looks like a technicality to me.

I barely trust them with my mail. No way I'd sleep at night if I sent live animals using that service.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Lucille
I believe this person is incorrect. I went to the USPS index. Entries with asterisks are non-mailable under any circumstances.

This person has a current tortoise ad here and is offering to ship USPS, when I sent him a note because I thought perhaps he did not realize what he was doing, he came up with the technicality.
Many people might have simply accepted what he said.

Tetraethyl lead liquid*, 346.221
Tetraethyl pyrophosphate liquid*, 346.221
Tetranitromethane*, 345.21
Thiophosgene*, 346.221
Tissue, tissue fluids, see Infectious substances
Toads, Exhibit 526.6
Torches, illuminating*, see Fireworks
Tortoises*, see Turtles
Toy propellant devices, 322, 341.22
Toxic substances, 346
Definition, 346.1, 346.11
Mailability requirements, 346.211
Mailable material, 346.23, 346.231
Marking, 346.31
Nonmailable material, 346.22, 346.221
Nonregulated poisons, 346.232
Packaging, 346.31
Poisonous drugs, 346.231, 473.3
Toxin, see Toxic substances
Transportation requirements, 327
Trick matches*, see Matches
Tropical fish, see Fish
Turkeys, see Poultry, day–old and Adult fowl
Turtles*, 525.3, 526.6
Turtle eggs*, 526.6

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!