Shipping snakes from the USA to UK? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Gerard
Shipping snakes from the USA to UK?

Hello,

Could somebody please be able to help me? How would you go about shipping snakes (a pair of rubber boas) from the USA to the UK please? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Gerard.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
hhmoore
One would have to have an export license, CITES permit, health inspection, and probably some other stuff I'm not remembering at the moment. Breeders that do a lot of exporting can generally get CITES paperwork quickly - for animals that they produce.
Realistically, it is fairly costly; and, with the exception of the above noted situation, it takes months to get everything processed.
I've never paid any attention to rubber boa pricing, but I suspect that a pair falls well short of most exporters' minimum purchase (most of the people I've talked to about exporting won't even think about it without a $2000 purchase).
I can't confirm this to be accurate, but I've seen quotes in the $850-1000 range for all the necessary permits, inspections, shipping, etc...and that is paid by the buyer, in addition to the purchase price. (I believe the recipient has to have an import license, as well; but I'm not 100% on that).

Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Gerard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
One would have to have an export license, CITES permit, health inspection, and probably some other stuff I'm not remembering at the moment. Breeders that do a lot of exporting can generally get CITES paperwork quickly - for animals that they produce.
Realistically, it is fairly costly; and, with the exception of the above noted situation, it takes months to get everything processed.
I've never paid any attention to rubber boa pricing, but I suspect that a pair falls well short of most exporters' minimum purchase (most of the people I've talked to about exporting won't even think about it without a $2000 purchase).
I can't confirm this to be accurate, but I've seen quotes in the $850-1000 range for all the necessary permits, inspections, shipping, etc...and that is paid by the buyer, in addition to the purchase price. (I believe the recipient has to have an import license, as well; but I'm not 100% on that).
Thank you, I never realised it would be so expensive

Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Cache Reptiles
Try contacting Dutch Dragon Import (dutchdragonimport.com)- they specialize in shipping overseas, and if your snakes aren't CITES animals the shipping process will be relatively simple (and much cheaper) than if you tried getting paperwork, brokers, etc on your own.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
hhmoore
Rubber boas are CITES II

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Thank you, I never realised it would be so expensive
Yeah, it's pretty cost prohibitive. Maybe you could find one of your bigger breeders nearby that does some receiving, and work something out to have animals brought in with one of their shipments? Worth a try.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Gerard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Yeah, it's pretty cost prohibitive. Maybe you could find one of your bigger breeders nearby that does some receiving, and work something out to have animals brought in with one of their shipments? Worth a try.
I've been told that they don't let you latch any animals onto their own imports as it's considered not good practice supposedly.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
EricIvins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
I've been told that they don't let you latch any animals onto their own imports as it's considered not good practice supposedly.
That isn't true. I've piggy backed animals on Imports or Exports through myself or other licensed individuals. Expect to pay a premium for those services though.......

I will tell you from experience, USFW does not like to grant Permits for native wildlife. You really have to know what you are doing to get those Permits signed off on......

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Gerard
So I'm guessing I'll have to try and source them somewhere in Europe then?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!