Kenyan Sand Boa pregnancy complication xrays - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
GHC Exotics
Kenyan Sand Boa pregnancy complication xrays

Hi Everyone.
Just thought I would share some pictures of xrays taken yesterday of one of my female Kenyans, that was experiencing complications with her pregnancy.
A few days ago, the female had began attempting to work everything down toward her vent for the birthing process.
Unfortunately, she was struggling and nothing was happening. Late that night, still nothing had happened, and she also had a dark, watery substance coming out of the corner of her mouth. We made the visit to the vet yesterday morning when they opened up.
What we found was that she was having an issue passing a bundle of slugs, and that she had ruptured something inside of her. This lead to her having to be euthanized. What was found then, was that what had ruptured was actually part of her intestine, and the dark colored substance seemed to be some bile.
Other than the rupture there was nothing that could directly be pin pointed to what happened. Sadly, when dealing with live animals, pregnancy ect... things can and will eventually happen.
It was an upsetting situation, that brought us from being extremely excited, back down to not wanting to deal with that situation again.
I hope that these xray photos are atleast of some interest to you, and that this girl can atleast bring some light into things that can happen during pregnancy.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
bcr229
I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
GHC Exotics
Thank you, it was def. an experience I didn't want to deal with.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
I'm very sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing.

I lost a boa to something very similar (slug blocked), it's a tough loss to take.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
GHC Exotics
It was both upsetting and interesting at the same time, I have to admit.
This was the first season I had decided to do a breeding project with sand boas ( I typically work with pythons, dragons, and geckos)
So the entire experience has been a learning one for me.
I have possibly 2 more females that may be gravid... and now Im def. gun shy with them, and hoping that they don't have any issues. For one, all the hard work is for nothing, and secondly and most importantly, I don't want the animals to be lost either.
It was interesting seeing the slugs after opening her up, but oddly not really seeing what exactly happened, besides the actual rupture.
I will say that this experience has made me appreciate these animals more than I have before, and Im hoping for better luck in the near future with the other to females.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Snake-Queen
I'm very sorry for your loss. I breed KSBs and I will definitely keep an eye on my gravid girls now.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
GHC Exotics
Melissa, its was def unexpected, as she showed zero signs of stress during the whole experience. Now Im just having the gun shy situation on seeing what happens with the other two.
I can show you some of the photos if you would like at the Atlanta show in Jan. if you are interested

Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
Eric, I would be interested in seeing them. I am always up for learning.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
GHC Exotics
Sounds good, you'll know where to find us... one table full of animals and another full of art

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!