Mark Miller of Loco-Lizards Liar and a Thief - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #71
KCRD.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagorfu
he took the snake back and it died after two months. even if the snake was sent back to him to get back into healthy breeding conditions it is his responsibility for the health of the snake. if it dies than it is on him. this is a no brainer here. i do not see why john, being a breeder and all, would need to send it back to get it healthy, but even IF that is what happened than make is still responsible for the snake. it died so he needs to send john a refund of the full 6,500 or a credit.

the TOS is kinda stupid if you ask me. i have always heard that you need to wait 2 weeks before you even try the first feeding. how are you going to know that something is wrong in 2 weeks? that is 1 feeding, the 1st feeding attempt.
First of all I am a breeder, and there are times when I know I have done literally every thing I know possible to get a snake on track. If a fellow experienced breeder tells me that he wants to try some of his tricks of the trade to help me out as a last ditch effort then I sure as hell am not going to hold him responsible for my animal that is doomed for sure death anyway.

As far as the TOS thing goes, these are in place for a reason. Business security, there are obviously some people out there that feel as if there are no limitations on a seller's responsibility and that the seller should always be responsible for the animals they sell no matter how long ago they sold the animal.

Any experienced snake keeper knows that the wait 2 weeks rule is bogus. I don't know anyone that actually does this, God knows I don't and I've never had any problems for doing so.

The bottom line is that Mark was trying to help a fellow breeder out, who just happened to be a good customer. The fact that he is being crucified for this act of kindness is a load of crap. THE SNAKE WAS GONE FOR FOUR MONTHS!

I spoke with Mark about this situation earlier this afternoon and because of some actions taken part by the other party he will not be posting on this thread again until this is decided by the court system. All I can say is that physical threats are not the way to get things fixed.

I know if this was me, I would be implying the "I wish" factor. "I wish" that the threats would be carried out by the other party. It'd be much easier to take care of that way.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #72
johnmartino
First of all you are right this is very serious, and as is my familys finances as well. Thus I am very upset to be out $6500. What physical threat???? Please show me some proof. Talk about slander and such!! I said i would proceed in any way possible to get this situation rectified. Including looking into getting legal representation. As of yet nothing has been filed. I was hoping Mark would be a man of his word and honor our agreement. If you really think that I would send an animal back to Mark to get it better for me than you are extremley naive not to mention gullible at best. I am breeder to. For many, many years now. I was breeding animals back in the 80's. There was an oral aggreement in place by Mark for me to send him back the snake and be compensated accordingly. MARK ASKED FOR HIM BACK. As far as Mark avoiding posting because of legal reasons, sounds like BOI avoidance if you ask me. I am not going to post. I am going to lie and then put my head in the sand and hope it all goes away. You can imply the "I wish" factor all you want. "I wish" I never did business with Mark Miller. " I wish" he would do the right thing as was said by him verbatim too many times to count. "I wish" I wasnt out $6500?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #73
Wolfy-hound
If you will say that Mark only did the phone calls to make sure there was no paper trail, then doesn't that mean it could be equally true of John?
Why didn't John get a paper trail?
This type of argument was had a while back over what point a seller's responsibilty ends. How do we know that the animal regurged, was taken away after a short period of non-breeding and then had perfect quiet conditions? What if he continued attempted breeding?
Mark took the snake back, and he should have had in writing what his responsibilites were to be. But John shouldn't have sent the snake back without something in writing too.
It has nothing to do with $6500.00 or TOS at this point. That part is true. Mark's TOS were stated clearly, and John accepted them.
The fact is neither party seems to have any proof of what agreement was reached as to whether the snake was returned for a refund, credit, or just to try to help it.
We can speculate as to why Mark would take the snake back, or why John would send it back, but that's all technically nothing more than gossip. Mark states he took it back to get it feeding. John says he sent the snake back for a refund/credit. Neither have proof, so it seems like the courts will have to decide for them.
I would not hold it against Mark that he did not refund money, nor give credit. I don't know what he agreed to or didn't agree to.
I would not hold it against John that the snake didn't eat, as I don't know if the snake was ill, or it just didn't like the ju-ju at his house. Sometimes poo happens and a animal just won't eat.

Without proof, it's all speculation. The quarentine issue is seperate, and I personally don't like the idea of non-quarentining an animal, but it has nothing to do with the deal or no deal.
I personally wouldn't ever send an animal back for refund or credit without some sort of email stating what I expected. I also wouldn't have taken back an animal just to get it eating, without knowing whether it was ill, not eating or even contagious.
Theresa baker

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #74
reagorfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRD.com
First of all I am a breeder, and there are times when I know I have done literally every thing I know possible to get a snake on track. If a fellow experienced breeder tells me that he wants to try some of his tricks of the trade to help me out as a last ditch effort then I sure as hell am not going to hold him responsible for my animal that is doomed for sure death anyway.

As far as the TOS thing goes, these are in place for a reason. Business security, there are obviously some people out there that feel as if there are no limitations on a seller's responsibility and that the seller should always be responsible for the animals they sell no matter how long ago they sold the animal.

Any experienced snake keeper knows that the wait 2 weeks rule is bogus. I don't know anyone that actually does this, God knows I don't and I've never had any problems for doing so.

The bottom line is that Mark was trying to help a fellow breeder out, who just happened to be a good customer. The fact that he is being crucified for this act of kindness is a load of crap. THE SNAKE WAS GONE FOR FOUR MONTHS!

I spoke with Mark about this situation earlier this afternoon and because of some actions taken part by the other party he will not be posting on this thread again until this is decided by the court system. All I can say is that physical threats are not the way to get things fixed.

I know if this was me, I would be implying the "I wish" factor. "I wish" that the threats would be carried out by the other party. It'd be much easier to take care of that way.
I know several people who say the 2-week rule is not bogus; it is used as safety for the animal just in case it is stressed. I guess you think that quarantine is bogus too.

Anyhow, if I give someone a 6,500 dollar anything for them to replace or fix, it had better be fixed or replaced. That is that. And can you talk about a discussion with a third party here on the BOI? I thought that was not allowed. Just wondering, because I thought that they had to defend themselves

Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #75
johnmartino
Theresa, you are right on many points. Anything could have been said. I KNOW what was said. I am guilty of also being naive enough to trust a man to his word. I knew how it would look yet i chose to come on here anyway. At worst i just wanted my story to be heard. Think of it what you will. I have since changed my practices. I had several great litters this year with people wanting me to hold some. ALL agreements are now written, faxed or done via email. Lesson learned. An expensive one, but one i will absorb and keep on moving forward. I would encourage anyone doing business with whomever to get everything in writing. It could save you allot of heartache.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #76
crotalusadamanteus
I think it's pretty simple at this point. In post number one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmartino
We then agreed on a replacement animal where I would have to send him more animals. I was hesitant to send two more animals to Mark but I figured I at least would have another breeder animal.
Post 19...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcmiller
When john and i were talkiong about our upcoming breeding season i mentioned i still had a bloody salmon female that would be ready to breed this fall, John showed great interest in getting this animal, I told him if he wanted to work out a trade for some of his sunglows I might be willing to make him a good deal on the female blood if we could agree on a decent price on the sunglows and i would give him a discount on the female bloody salmon so he didnt have to eat such a huge loss on the blood male. Not because i felt It was my fault the animal was not doing well, but simply to offer good service to a previously good customer.

Mark Miller

You can't blame John for being upset about the male Blood. $6500 is a lot of dough. And there was obviously discussion about replacement animals, as shown above. That needs to be followed through IMO.

But you John, should have kept him aware as of the first regurge. That plainly cancels the live guarantee as stated. Any discussion about replacements was FAR beyond his TOS.

Seems just following through with the original plan would put this thing right. Let this thing rest, because I really don't see a bad guy with such a simple resolution at hand.

My 2¢
Rick

Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #77
KelliH
I'm on the fence about who is right or wrong here, but I strongly that both of these men are to blame. These two supposed Boa constrictor experts possibly let this poor animal die because for some ludicrous reason neither one of them felt like taking the time or spending the money to take this snake to a vet. Shame on both of you.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #78
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I'm on the fence about who is right or wrong here, but I strongly that both of these men are to blame. These two supposed Boa constrictor experts possibly let this poor animal die because for some ludicrous reason neither one of them felt like taking the time or spending the money to take this snake to a vet. Shame on both of you.
I can't argue that one bit. Just feel it's been covered.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #79
KelliH
Quote:
Just feel it's been covered.
That doesn't mean I can't express my opinion on the matter though.
In fact, I feel it is the most important detail of the entire story and needs to be stressed.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #80
Wolfy-hound
I'm glad that you learned to get everything in writing. I had an expensive lesson myself and get stuff in writing too now. I hope that lesson gets through to everyone reading.
Even if it's a good friend, get it in writing, it could save the freindship when there is any doubt later.
I agree Kelli. When the animal is near death, it should make a trip to the vet definitely! It's a $6500.oo animal, and how much does a check-up cost?
Not that it's definite that any vet would have been able to diagnose or treat the animal successfully, but it would lend credance to treating the animal yourself if you've also gone the 'extra' mile and taken it to the supposed experts too.
Theresa Baker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!