Emerald Tree Boa vs. Green Tree Python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Iggy189
Emerald Tree Boa vs. Green Tree Python

I'm looking into getting a emerald tree boa or green tree python. I've had a couple ring necks in the past at different times, but there really small compared to a boa/python. Just wondering how they are as pets. Should I get a baby, sub-adult, or adult? If I do get one it will be in a couple of months or so, so that I have time to set everything up and get a breeding pair of rats/mice. I'm leaning more towards the boa, but I'm still considering the python. As far as breeding which ones easier to breed? Pros/cons of each? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
creatism123
ok i am getting my first gtp next week. i can tell you what i do and doing, also what i have found out from research.

gtp vs etb, i had the same dilima decided on a gtp because they seem hardier and there is more info avail on them. my preferance is for a etb and will get one eventually.
etb big teeth very big teeth almost venomous big.
etb's seem to be calmer(during the daylight hours anyway
gtp can be psycho(so can scrubs but mine are ok during the day.)

setting up the cage i am actually going to call my breeder and make sure it is ok. basically the hard part is setting up humidity cycle. mine is about 95-99 percent than drys out to like 50ish. by the next spraying. thats the bitch part. find a breeder not a broker. get a well started baby/yearling. again thats the route i am going, mine is about 9 months old. i have spoken to many breeders in my search and they say buy a well started baby or yearling, they are young enough so you can see the color change, which is the best part of owning one.

from what i've read gtp's are easier to breed, not much writen on breeding etbs

hope this helps

Old 05-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Uroboros
My ETB is a pure puppy dog. Both GTPs and ETBs can be psycho, I've seen psycho ETBs enough.

My ETB gets to around 80% and cycles to 50% and gets sprayed once a day, twice if it's particularly dry.

The bastard also won't eat anything but live mice from PetCo. I've tried live mice from my herp shop, doesn't work. I've given up trying to switch to f/t, at some point, we'll try again, but for now, he's won.

As for the hardiness, I don't know anything about GTPs but I do know that WC ETBs are particularly difficult to acclimate.

The teeth thing is no kidding. My male is 5.5' and his teeth are a no kidding 1/4" long in the front, four of them, and they taper to smaller as they go back.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Will0W783
I have both an ETB and a GTP. I also was debating, but settled on the ETB because I found an ad here for one that I totally loved. I had done research for two months before getting her though, and I bought an Exo-Terra X-large terrarium kit. It's 24"tall x 18"long x 12" deep. She has two perches, one high and one low, a large corner water dish, forest floor bedding, and fake plants suction cupped to the walls. There is also a foam rock wall backing in the cage. I have her, my GTP, and my PRB hooked up to a MistKing system that mists them for 30 seconds every other hour from 8am-8pm and once more at midnight. This keeps it about 70%-80% during the day with a drop to 55-60% at night. I have had her since early March and she is thriving. She is puppy dog tame and gorgeous. I love her to pieces; she's my pride and joy. I could not get her to eat for the first month, but after 5 weeks, she showed interest in feeding and started taking f/t rat pups. She pounds weanlings now, every other week. She would eat every single week, probably more, if I let her, but I keep her to a strict 3 meals, wait for a poop schedule. She has shed twice, in one piece both times, and all is well. My GTP is also quite docile, although I cannot handle her at night. Once the sun goes down she goes into "hunt" mode even if she has a full belly and will bite me if I put my hand in her cage. But during the day she's fine. I agree that in general, GTPs are less maintenance, but I adore my ETB Esmeralda, and think that anyone can keep one if they are dedicated enough and do their research. Good luck with whichever one you decide to get- post pics!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Iggy189
Thanks for all the info. I have decided to hold off getting one for now. Right now I can afford to keep one, but this is my last semester before I transfer out and not sure on what school I will be attending. I have my mind set on one school, but I have a couple other back ups. I'm not sure yet so as soon as I transfer, settle down, and if I'm allowed to keep them I will most likely get one. Etb's and gtp's are two of my favorite snakes.

Not only that I have other reptiles. I have a pair of adult beard dragons, a juvenile male bd, a pair of day geckos, three female leos, a baby leo and a female crested gecko. I don't want to get rid of them, so I will be taking which ever ones I can and my brother will take care of the rest of them when I'm away at school. Could you post pics of them? There beautiful snakes!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Will0W783
My GTP and ETB

Sure. I love showing off my babies...lol. The first two are pictures are of Esmeralda, my emerald tree boa. The third one is Mystique, my green tree python. I need to get a better picture of Mystique, but she doesn't like to sit still for pictures unless she's on her perch. The last one is Esmeralda again, on my fiance's hand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!