Info TexHiss Jimmy Horton - Poor Animal Condition, Bad Shipping Practices - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #101
ElexisC
I have seen by a previous thread what throwing IBD around can cause. I think it's the devastation it causes that it's always a present paranoia whether it's there or not. Every time I see those letters I get very nervous even though it's rare. Which is why I said diseases, not sure who the first was to say IBD but it's like the worst disease any of us ever want to deal with..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #102
tim brophy
I believe the OP mentioned IBD. But she is the one who observed the behavior and she just mentioned it as one of many possibilities. Nonetheless, I would think it prudent for an autopsy and test. And seller should pay for it. Autopsy may just determine it starved to death. That little boa was dead on arrival, but it just did not know it yet!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #103
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElexisOrtiz View Post
I have seen by a previous thread what throwing IBD around can cause. I think it's the devastation it causes that it's always a present paranoia whether it's there or not. Every time I see those letters I get very nervous even though it's rare. Which is why I said diseases, not sure who the first was to say IBD but it's like the worst disease any of us ever want to deal with..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Elexis,
Truer words were never spoken! I agree 100%.....

I Kept, raised and bred boa's for 26 years, until 2003 when I decided to sell out.

Make a long story short, I sold several high end boa's in 2004 to a client I had known for a while, and trusted. I trusted him for $2200, on a much larger amount already paid. When I called him out for the balance a few months later, he started telling folks I sold boas with the DREADED Words no one in the Boa community wants to hear, IBD.

Of course he was trying to get out of paying me with those tactics, needless to say I never had boas with IBD, there are breeders today still breeding my bloodlines.

So I see, those dreaded words still strike fear in boa breeders today! Those in the know, know IBD is extremely rare!

I'm not saying in any way shape or form that the OP is doing that, I'm sure she's extremely concerned, and has every right to be, but again IBD, unless results are confirmed, should NEVER be used........

Just my opinion.......

Mikasa, I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss! Best of luck to you!

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #104
Kuamata
Oh noo nooo! I wasn't trying to do that, it's just always a concern in the back of my mind, and the corkscrewing brought up that fear! The test must definitely be done before saying anything definitive!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #105
Kuamata
Ouchie, called the closest place that does necropsies and it's $100. I can do it but that's a serious ouch.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #106
tim brophy
Perhaps the seller will agree to pay for the test. I would think he would like to clear his name, even though it is much, much more likely he just sent you a nearly starved boa, as opposed to an IBD infected boa. Likely that poor snake simply starved to death. It was knocking on death's door when you received it. Nice guy to do business with!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #107
Kuamata
Yeah, I've been calling vet clinics and they all say they go through the University of KY Veterinary Diagnostic Lab and that they don't know of any other labs that do necropsies on animals.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #108
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post
Yeah, I've been calling vet clinics and they all say they go through the University of KY Veterinary Diagnostic Lab and that they don't know of any other labs that do necropsies on animals.
University of Florida does a blood test to check for IBD. Your vet can submit a sample and should probably contact them in advance to find out what is needed. There will be another fee for the test, I think $130, plus the shipping cost to send the blood sample.

http://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/sample-re...ions/boid-ibd/

http://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/sample-re...ed-infections/

Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #109
tim brophy
That is getting to be a pretty expensive snake carcass that guy sold you.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #110
lillyorchid
I'm sorry the boa died. I'm sadly not surprised seeing what kind of condition it was in when you got it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, breeder, texas