Silk shedding problem with pics. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
OEdwards
Silk shedding problem with pics.

Okay so this is my first silk and it is not the first time he has shed but it is the first time this problem has occured. If you notice his tail is blood red and swollen the lower regular colored half had shed earlier in the week and when I went to check on him today I noticed this I thought Id give it some time see what happens and it has only gotten worse. I have never had a silk before and am not totaly sure how to handle this so I want some advice before I do take any actions. It has started to blister and crack and my local exotic vet has never even seen a color morphed dragon let alone a silk so I do not believe he knows how to handle this. He(the silk) checks out for a clean bill of health everywhere else.
Thanks for Helping or at least Trying,
OEdwards
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Ed Clark
I have seen that exact problem a few times.

That is the result of peeling the shed skin off of a silkie.your chances of losing that silkie is great.I have used SSD cream(silver sulfadiazine cream)to heal that up.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
OEdwards
AHHH I was always told against it but it looked so tight and I thought If Id get it started a little he could finish the job where is the SSD cream located and what is the best thing to do to keep it from worsening

Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Ed Clark
I made the same mistake by trying to peel off shed skin in that exact spot.

You need to get a script from a Dr. to pick up at any pharmacy.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
OEdwards
Luckly a realative of mine is a pharmacists and I called him he said he can get me a little tomorrow mourning how long is to long it has been a day

Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
OEdwards
Thank You so much Ed

Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Really can't say, just keep that dragon clean on paper towels. whatever you do don't soak it or it will start to crack then bleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEdwards View Post
Luckly a realative of mine is a pharmacists and I called him he said he can get me a little tomorrow mourning how long is to long it has been a day

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
OEdwards
I have an aloe plant do you think if I use some of it on him itll help

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
DiamondDen
Ed is 100% right as soon as i seen it i knew, luckily i learned my lesson on a tip of tail and not anything more excessive but the dragon did still do very poorly for quite a while he lost that part of the tail(as i said it was a tip)
is he eating ok?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
OEdwards
yes he eats fine I got the cream and I am keeping the het and uvb light off off of him for tthe day so the skin wont crack any more I hope he does not lose his tailm the bottom half is fine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!