leucistic western hognose legality & lineage question... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
BLOODLINES
Question leucistic western hognose legality & lineage question...

Just thinking outloud here....

What would happen if more leucistic westerns hatched out from a pair of captive bred and hatched parents with lineage that did not originate in Colorado?

I'm wondering if the breeder would be targeted by Colorado Fish and Game and need to legally prove this lineage did not originate from that state.

If so, How can you prove a snakes "bloodline" originated outside a particular border?

Not starting any rumors here...I do not have or know of anyone working with hets or lucy western hogs....just starting a discussion of lineage and how can it be legally proved.

Old 11-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #2
reptilebreeder
I don't know how that would work. Maybe since Western Hognose reside outside Colorado, they would have to prove that they originated in Colorado, as opposed to us trying to prove they didn't. Is there a history of Colorado F&G going after people?
Because of the range of W. Hognose it would seem hard for them to even bother with it. Unless, you resided in CO. That's like here in CA, you are only allowed to possess one (total) of certain subspecies of CA Mountain Kingsnake, and some of the subspecies are protected, yet people outside of CA, breed them. In this instance it would be easy for CA F&G to prove a violation, because the CA ssp. do not reside anywhere else. To my knowledge CA F&G doesn't do anything about it, unless you live in CA, and are violating the law.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
BLOODLINES
John...thanks for the reply...

Just wondering (because of all the different lines of lucy ball pythons that have come about) and also a bit of wishful thinking, their may be a chance of a white western hoggie again.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
evansnakes
You seem to be missing the fact that the federal authorities went around the country seizing the animals that origionated from that line. If somebody produced them now they would assume that they were from that bloodline and they would be taken as well.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #5
LOSTNCONFUSED
Do You Mean That No One Has A Luesistic Western ? Why Did The Feds Go Around Confiscating Animals? How Did They Know Where The Animal Originated From? Can Someone Share The Whole Story Please This Is The First I Have Heard Of This And Have Been Dreaming About Owning A Luesistic Western Ever Since I Saw Them In Reptiles Magizine.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
evansnakes
The origional owner of the first leucistic collected it illegally and sold it's offspring which were in turn then also illegal. So when he was arrested by the authorities and jailed they got from him information on who he sold the babies to but that is not hard when they are advertised or at least when so many people in this business talk about other's affairs. So they seized the offspring that had been sold and have threatened action against the buyers even though they had no way of knowing the offspring were illegal. BUT because of the start of the line being 100% illegal, all production sold is illegal as well. So it ends there unless somebody can find and document an animal in one of the many states they are native to where they can legally be collected.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
wahberee
some guy sssean has them on kingsnake.
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=20604
dunno how though?
he seems to claim anonymous

Old 03-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Gecko_Den
Check the dates on those pictures, they were from before the bust(s)....

and are likely some of the same that were confiscated.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
Tripple H Herps
So what happend to all the lucys? They weren't destroyed were they? No more lucy line then?
Jim

Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
DragonCharm
That sucks.

I'd pay like $2 Trillion for one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!