Roach Feeder Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Heavy Breeze
Roach Feeder Question

Ok first off I live in Florida so I cant use dubia roaches which I wanted to so my only choice is giant green banana roaches as a feeder. I cant use discoids since there adult form is to roach like and my Mom will flip out. So I have to do green roaches since one I can pass them as beetles, and 2 they dont look like roaches we have currently in my house.

My questions are:

What bin should I use for these green banana roaches, I dont want a massive colony since Im really gonna have 1 gecko to consume these insects?

What substrate should I use I heard a mix of different kind just wanted to know which.

How can I restrict there breeding so I don't end up with 1k roaches but around 100-180 max. My only idea is just 1 crock hide and a small tub.

Which isopods should I use?

Can the bin be placed in a car trunk..I can attempt to hide it in my room but if my mom opens it she wont get the same feeling seeing a bunch of green insects compared to full grown brown ones.

Thanks for any help provided. Feel free to list other feeders I can breed and restrict, I cant use crickets since there not really good,and I'm assuming locust are banned from the united states. Also they cant look like american roaches or anyone who comes across the bin will flip out.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
snowgyre
I think the more important question is what are you going to be feeding these roaches and isopods to? You only mentioned one gecko... honestly, breeding your own roaches for one gecko is a little overkill, unless you plan to sell the excess roaches you produce. Isopods are not good food for most geckos (way too small).

You could get some African hissing cockroaches and just feed the nymphs off if you have a larger gecko. These cockroaches get big, but the adults don't have wings and so don't have the typical roach look. Their production is also less than other roach species, so you wouldn't be overwhelmed (but you might be underwhelmed too, depending on the size of the colony you start with). I honestly don't know much about the green roaches, so I can't help you there.

Other than that, most roaches look like... well, roaches. Crickets are not that bad if you're just using small quantities and gut-loading them before you feed them to your gecko.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Heavy Breeze
The gecko is a leopard gecko

The isopods since I read somewhere they help with green roach bin upkeep, since they eat waste and mold.

Hissing seem to roach like. Crickets also smell and are a tad messy. Does anyone know have experience with green roaches, or know what locust is allowed in Florida

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!