Genetics ?? Hypo gene specifically - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Question Genetics ?? Hypo gene specifically

OK, maybe I can get some help with an ongoing debate here.
We all know that the Hypo/Salmon gene in BCI is a co-dominant gene. Correct?
Heres the debate..........I am currently breeding My 8ft Albino female (Kahl '99) to a male Hypo het for albino, (or sunglow if you choose).
I say that there will be +/-half a litter of normals het albino, and +/-half a litter of albinos. Then comes the co-dom Hypo gene.
It will distribute randomly through out the litter correct? Their is no way to tell which offspring will get that hypo gene. So you could get all yer normals being DH Salmons, or all your albinos being sunglow, or any combination in between. It's not a guaranteed ratio.
I am being told it "Will be 25% of each....Norm hets, salmon hets, albinos, and sunglows" by a friend of mine. I disagree as you can see.

It goes further yet................Same thing for the Super Salmons. Some say two co-dom genes will make a Dom gene. Again I say "random distribution" You may or may not get Supers from the two salmons. My friend believes they will all be Supers.

Don't get me wrong. My friend is not a breeder, or even a keeper at the moment. He's just sorta smart in the science department, and I talked genes in Boas to him one day and created a monster. He even has me doubting all that I have learned about this stuff.

It's time to settle it. I know there are breeders out there who have gone through these experiences, and am hoping they will give their opines.
Who knows, Maybe I got it all wrong. I doubt it, but maybe.

Ciao,
Rick