What makes a whiteout a whiteout - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
garweft
What makes a whiteout a whiteout

i have been wondering this for a while, and a recent BOI thread really has me wondering.....

What's so special about a whiteout?

IMHO the snakes often pictured are not outside of the realm of what is common in the other morphs involved. They are just nicely blushed out examples with floating alien heads. That's pretty common in cinnamons and lesser/butters already, so I'm not seeing what's so special here?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Misf!t
I'm in the same boat, and I've been following the same BOI thread..

The snakes are gorgeous, but it really just looks like what I've seen called 'reduced'? I've seen bees and bees and bees that have high whites up the sides and I always assumed that's what reduced or high white really meant. Only recently am I starting to see them being called 'whiteouts'. I'm a small time breeder who isn't working with these traits, and I haven't been in the know with morphs in a bit... but what's the difference really? Am I understanding the other terms incorrectly?

(Not the hijack the thread, I thought it might help to clear up some of that. :])

Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Diego Velarde
Matthew, I wish I could help on the whiteout stuff but I cant (hopefully next year when babies start hatching) but I will provide some input on the citrus line.
I am a true fan of pastels, when I saw what a citrus pastel looks like in person I immediately knew I needed one.

I bought mine before the whiteout bomb (before the prices went to the roof) and I couldnt be any happier . He's probably the best pastel male I've seen and will kick most of my pastels' butt on a side by side comparison. Also the citrus combos Rick posted on the BOI thread look way better than my regular pastel combos side by side (we did a side by side comparison just yesterday) Those things are jaw droppers.

Everyone knows that most pastels line brown up when older. Citrus pastels orange up and I mean that in a good way.
I got my little guy as a hatchling. He's now almost 1000 grams and I think he's gotten better looking. Like I said hopefully I'm able to produce some of that whiteout stuff next year but if I dont... who cares... as long as they have citrus in them they will be badass!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Misf!t
Oooh. Citruses -orange- out. Dang, I wish I had done a little bit of research into them when I first saw one. I was thinking it was just another one of those butterlessermojave's or mochajavawhatevers. I've become a little cynical about 'new' morphs, since most of the time it just seems like a subtle thing and someone names it something else. :P

Thanks for explaining that bit, it's good to know citrus pastels are actually different from pastels, haha. I wish I had nabbed one now! I gotta pay more attention to new morphs I guess. ;]

Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
garweft
I do see the differences in citrus line pastels and other pastels. But then again there were very noticeable differences in the other lines of pastel at one point as well. Once people start breeding citrus lines to any available female I won't be surprised to see them become just another pastel.

My issue is with what people are calling whiteouts. The best examples shown seem to always be cinny or mojo/lesser/butter combos which regularly throw blushed out babies with high white on the sides and floating alien heads. The normal pastel whiteouts and just normal whiteouts don't look very standout to me. A little thicker white border on the alien heads near the belly doesn't scream hot new morph to me.

The first few calicos I saw were the same way, not really standout. But after a few higher white calicos started being produced it gave the morph validity. I have yet see that with whiteouts.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
rcpreis3
Referring the two "lines" being discussed i think both of the people are blowing smoke up our butts. I see nuthing special with either line. They just look like nice examples of a the morphs. Its like saying the graziani pastels have a secret hidden gene that makes them blush better than other pastels. Its not a hidden gene, its called selective breeding. In order for to even consider the whiteout something special id have to see a normal whiteout which neither breeder has ever produced. ( or atleast hasnt annouced its production)

Old 11-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
BreedersCircle
Hello everyone.
Just wanted to let everyone know that Amir will be a guest for an entire hour on .com this sunday at 11:00 PM EST
Since he is the originator of the citrus whiteout, he is the person best qualified to answer the questions surrounding it all.
I have been busy moving into my new facility but when I get time I will post some pictures of snakes and markers so it may be a little easier to see what is going on with this gene.

Hope everyone is well!
thanks
Jonathan

Old 11-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Misf!t
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Referring the two "lines" being discussed i think both of the people are blowing smoke up our butts. I see nuthing special with either line. They just look like nice examples of a the morphs. Its like saying the graziani pastels have a secret hidden gene that makes them blush better than other pastels. Its not a hidden gene, its called selective breeding. In order for to even consider the whiteout something special id have to see a normal whiteout which neither breeder has ever produced. ( or atleast hasnt annouced its production)
This apparently is the normal "washout" according to World of Ball Pythons:

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/washout/

Evidently this is the morph on its own.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
rcpreis3
So normals get cool names now?

I dont see whats so special?

Not trashing anyone or saying theres a scam going, I just cant see what all the excitement is about...

Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
rcpreis3
Hey check out my new "Thunder Blunder" female,

And heres my male to go with her,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!