Does Indian sand boa fast? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
Helenthereef
Well, I hope that someone who knows about actual sand boas will reply, but as Kayla said, it might well be the low temperatures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khcorn View Post
Yes, they do go through a winter cooling cycle where they don't eat. Temps during that time should be between 60-70 f so what you are seeing is not too low.
If he's still peeing and defecating it means his system is still working, so that's fine.

My pacific boas don't get any heat, as I live in their native country, so they are on their natural cycle and, as I said, can quite happily go without food for 3 months.

Having said that, if he went off food in September, it's going to be quite a long time before it gets warm again, so you might want to see if you can give him a warmer environment for a while if you can.

Was he always eating pinkies before? have you tried anything else? My pacific boas, and I've heard quite a few other species of boa, like chicken....

Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #12
Helenthereef
By the way, just found this posted at

http://fuckyeahsandboas.tumblr.com/p...ding-sand-boas

(note to mods: sorry for profanity, but it's part of the web address )

"Male sand boas that are a year of age or older will often fast at any point between fall and spring. These fasts can often last 3 months, or even as long as 6 months. If any of this sounds familiar, and your snake is not losing weight, chances are it is a seasonal fast and nothing to worry about. I suggest offering food once every 2 weeks, and monitoring weight every 2-3 weeks, just not on the same day that you attempt feeding."

At least that's reassuring!

Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #13
pika002
He was eating 1fussy or 2 large pinkies once a week, when I got him (this May, cant remember currectly) the shop said he is arround 1 year old. His feeding response is always mild, never grab or constrict, just slowly & gently swallowing, which I feel kinda wired.
Last shad he had was 2 month ago. It didn't come off at all, like he had no intention to rub it off. I had to soak him and peel all the shade off for him, and gosh, he hates water so much! Humedity is arround 50%, rise up to 70% if it rains. I used to put a cardboard pipe in his enclosure, he liked it a lot. I moved it away last month because he was not using it anymore, that is also when he started fasting. Some actions of him are misterious to me.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
pika002
So... he is very likely doing a seasonal fasting! Thanks for the link
At least I know he is not ill. Love how he licks mice arround so hard trying to find where the head is, well, Looks like Im not going to see this for a while

Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
Khcorn
Sometimes I can get my sand boas interested in eating by dancing the prey on top of the substrate, the way a live mouse would walk across the sand. They can feel the vibrations and may investigate.
One male I had went off food for the entire breeding season and in order to get him started again I had the most success offering him an appropriate sized rat instead of a mouse. He usually would eat a large mouse but I gave him two rat pinks instead.
A rosy boa I have also stopped eating during breeding. To get him started I offered him a mouse peach fuzz when normally he would eat a large mouse or two. I fed him small items until he was regularly taking them and have now switched him to normal size prey.
Overall, I just offer different things, sizes, prey until they take it.

But again, I think the main thing to monitor is his weight. If he is not losing weight he is probably fine. Just keep track of how long it has been since he last ate.

Doe she have any other hides in his enclosure? If he really like the paper towel roll maybe he felt more secure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeding help, sand boa