Weekend pics - Western Painted Turtles, etc. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
PaulSage
Weekend pics - Western Painted Turtles, etc.

Here's a few pics I took this weekend up at our cabin. I know they're not herps, but every year the Loons up there have babies, and this is the closest I've ever gotten to them.

Once the fireworks started, I think the only animals that hadn't gone into hiding were the mosquitos.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Jan Orcutt
Very nice, Paul! Are there a lot of western paints up there?

Old 07-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Orcutt
Very nice, Paul! Are there a lot of western paints up there?
Oh yeah, there are a TON of them up there. I was really amazed that we only saw a couple. Normally those same "basking spots" would have nearly a dozen of them lined up. I was surprised we didn't see any hatchlings too. I don't know if it's too early or not, but normally if we went into the backwaters and bogs, you could see dozens of babies within 30 minutes. I have a feeling the increased traffic on the lake for the weekend may have had them hiding.
The ecology has changed quite a bit up there in the past 10 years. There used to be the occasional snappers floating around, and there were tons of bullheads and large perch too. I haven't seen any of those since they introduced walleye and tiger muskies though.
I just think that there isn't as much 'catch and release' going on, and I hope that the turtles aren't being collected, but you never know.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
Great pics Paul. The background is always as beautiful as the herps are in my opinion. Looks like your cabin is in just the right area.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Tears_and_Fangs
My favorite is the first one, I especially love the background! Such Beautiful pics, Keep up the good work! =D

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!