Male doesn't want to eat, losing tail fat, but no change in weight - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Lemur_6
Male doesn't want to eat, losing tail fat, but no change in weight

My male gecko doesn't want to eat. He used to love his baby meal worms to death, and now he won't even look at them. He gives up chasing crickets after he misses the first two lunges and he doesn't even recognize waxies anymore. His tail has definately gotten thinner, but not to the point where it's worisome. The wierd thing is his weight hasn't changed a single gram, been the same 47 grams for the last 2 months.

Crappy thing is, since he's not eating, he's not pooping often enough for me to get a decent sample, and since it's so sporadic I never know when he'll drop me one (and by the time I see that he pooped, the sample is dried out and no longer useful).

Do I just wait him out, or should I invasively get a sample from him? He doesn't look sick, but him not eating is worrying me.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
mizar66
hmmm...

Invasively getting a smaple from him...that scare me a bit, a lot can go wrong and you can hurt your gecko badly.

About his eating habit, i would suggest some baby food on his lips so he can lick it up. Maybe somebody have a better idea ?

Old 07-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
KelliH
If you take him to a good reptile vet, they can do what is called a "cloacal wash", and get a fecal sample that way. Better to be safe than sorry, I would have him tested just to be sure.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
questions?

Is your male in with any females, or in a room where breeding might be occurring? Of so, you may want to consider moving him to a location out of range for the breeding "pheromones" to affect him. It is not uncommon for males to lose interest in food when there are ovualting females around.

I do not recommend doing any type of invasive sampling yourself, and agree with Kelly that only a qualified vet should do it. I am not sure if that kind of stress is what he needs right now if you aren't that concerned with his weight loss at this time. I like the baby food idea... get some baby squash (it is an intestinal binder) and dropper feed him by putting a little on his nose and squeezing out 1/2 - 1 ml. as he laps it. This should give him something for a good carbohydrate as well as provide enough stool for a fecal exam.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
Lemur_6
Now there's the crux of the problem, "a good reptile vet" doesn't really exist around where I live, and the only vets around do more harm than good. Which is funny because Central Michigan Uni is known for their awesome vet program and they're just a few hours away, pity I don't have a car to drive up there.

No, no females anywhere in sight.

Yes, cloacal wash was what I was referring to when I said "invasive". But, I'll try the squash and see how it goes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!