Leo breeding question?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
matt377
Leo breeding question??

So I recently bought 2 adult female geckos to get back into leos becuase I decided to breed my male shtctb that I got a few years back when I bred them before. I got the females over a month ago and I noticed one female became gravid within the first couple weeks and last week layed one egg and she still looks gravid. It seems to be a slug it looked ok at first but it's not looking to good now. So if she layed a egg she was gravid when I bought her but the first egg doesnt seem good so I'm worried she never mated and will just lay bad eggs. Is It ok to put the male with the gravid female or shouldn't I?

I've been putting the male in with the 2 females but they seem like there rejecting him, both times I seen him try the females run from him. The females are both 55-65 grams and the male is easily 80 grams. Would it stress the gravid female out?

What do you recommend?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
snowgyre
It's fine to introduce the male to the gravid female. Female leopard geckos are like chickens, they will lay eggs even if they were never fertilized. I would put the male in there with her when her abdomen isn't completely swollen with a ready-to-lay egg and closely monitor the situation. If she fights him, remove him. Do this every other day. In 2-4 weeks, I bet she'll finally accept him.

In the meantime, I would put him in her enclosure and put her in his enclosure. Sometimes the scent of a nearby male is enough to make a female receptive.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
matt377
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
It's fine to introduce the male to the gravid female. Female leopard geckos are like chickens, they will lay eggs even if they were never fertilized. I would put the male in there with her when her abdomen isn't completely swollen with a ready-to-lay egg and closely monitor the situation. If she fights him, remove him. Do this every other day. In 2-4 weeks, I bet she'll finally accept him.

In the meantime, I would put him in her enclosure and put her in his enclosure. Sometimes the scent of a nearby male is enough to make a female receptive.
Ok good to know I noticed today they are in the hide box together so they seem to get along good

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!