Surprise of my life - Help with ID? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
GreenTreePython13
Surprise of my life - Help with ID?

So this season I got a new female, Charm, a Pacific Green. I bred her with my favorite normal male because I wanted one of his offspring. I was just expecting normals, maybe even some with a more orange base. With the first egg, that's what I got.

His clutchmate took another day and a half to hatch, and this is what I saw this morning when I checked on the eggs.

An albino?? I racked my brain and remembered that both of Charm's parents were "possible het RAPTOR." However, to my knowledge, they hadn't been proven as actually het RAPTOR. Well, that's possible. What really stumped me was my "Normal" male. I produced him myself from two "Normals." So I contacted the man I got them from and he told me that they're part of a normal colony he's had for years. The originals from that colony, though, he doesn't know their origin. But it's so strange to me that that colony could have bred and interbred for years without the albino gene popping up.

I left the baby alone to let it finish hatching.

After it fully emerged, it looked like a tremper to me. But then he opened his eyes. Red.

So now here's my question for you.

I work mainly with line bred traits so I don't know too much about the recessives. (My whole collection is made of Pacs, Tangs, Jungles, and Normals)

1) Can Trempers have red eyes with no other typical RAPTOR traits?
2) Could it be a banded RAPTOR?
3) What do you think the little guy is?

For further info,

Here is a picture of both sets of grandparents

And here are the parents

Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
jellyfishrhythm
First of all - congrats on the little ones, beautiful!

at first glance, it looks like both of your adults proved out to be double het for Tremper and Eclipse. So, hooray for that! Some people would definitely call that a banded RAPTOR, but, for the sake of definitions, I would call it a Tremper Eclipse.

I'm sure you already know this, but RAPTOR is an acronym: Ruby-eyed, Albino, Patternless, Tremper, ORange. Not patternless in terms of the Murphy's patternless recessive mutation - but they will have little to no pattern. It's not the way it is with RADARS and Typhoons (Bell Eclipse and Rainwater Albino Eclipse, respectively) - a RAPTOR is more than just a Tremper Eclipse, there are other criteria that must be met in the eyes of many to call it a true RAPTOR.

But, very few people feel that way and practice that "rule", so if you called it a banded RAPTOR, you'd be correct :-) - there have to be Trempers and Eclipses somewhere in the lineage, maybe with the Great Grandparents?

Also, keep an eye on the eyeballs of this little guy - at first glance, a lot of albino babies appear to have solid red eyes. Could you post a close-up photo if he/she lets you get all up in his face for a second?

At the VERY least, they've both proven out to be het Tremper. So hooray for that!

Cheers,
Stephanie <3

Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Kristi23
Try to get a pic from the front with the nose. If it's not white, you have a banded tremper. Congrats either way!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!