Thinking of buying a Beardie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Crypto136
Thinking of buying a Beardie

I'm very intrested in Beardies and thinking of getting one I've heard that compact and coil UVB lights are bad and also that sand is bad do you have any tip or advace

Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great questions. Yes, compacts & coils are bad. Here is a report for you to read just so you understand more about why they are bad.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

The best flourescent tube UVB lights are Reptisun 10, Reptisun 5, or Reptiglo 8. Stay away from the Reptiglo 10, all ESU/Zillas, & the Mystics. If you are wanting a Mercury vapor bulb, try the T-rex active UV heat, or the Megaray. They are both very good.

IF you do decide on sand, the only type of sand that is acceptable is washed & sifted playsand. It does not clump when wet & passes through easier. I would steer clear of any sand that is calcium based, period. Such as the calcisand, or reptisand.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tracie

Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Crypto136
How big of a cages does an adult need and what types of veggies do they eat

Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Tere Salazar
We keep our adults in 4' long x 2' wide x 2' deep enclosures. I'm not sure, but I think that's a bit larger than a 60 gallon breeder tank.

As for their greens and veggies, mustard, turnip, and collard greens are good, as are any of the squashes, yams, zucchini, and some occasional non-citrus fruit. A great place for dietary stuff is www.beautifuldragons.com You will find a list there of almost every type of food you could ever want to feed them.

It's great that you're checking into this stuff before hand!

Oh, and you had mentioned sand before...we used to use sand, but switched over to ceramic tiles in our enclosures and LOVE them!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!