Looking into breeding geckos...but which type is better? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
FosterHerpetological
Question Looking into breeding geckos...but which type is better?

Hi, I have bred snakes many times, but have always been more interested in the geckos by far. The leos, cresteds, and fat tails to be exact. I am getting rid of all of my snakes and getting a colony of geckos together to breed, not for the money, but for the hobby aspect.
But, I was curious on your guys thoughts. Which is easier to breed? Which in your opinion is more fun to work with? Also to take care of etc.
Thanks alot, and any input would be appreciated!
Stephen

Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
leaveittoweaver
I don't know about breeding, cause I haven't even tried yet. But as far as fun to keep, my vote goes with the crested gecko. I find them easier to keep than the leopard to be honest. And they're color morphs and patterns are so interesting. But again, that's just my opinion.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
FosterHerpetological
Ive heard that they are more fun to keep, and that they are way easier to keep due to their diet and no needing of heat.
But Ive also heard that their different morphs are hard to determine. A female can throw a bunch of different morphs at any given time?
Is this true?
Thanks alot
Stephen

Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
leaveittoweaver
I honestly am not sure about that. But yes they are easier to keep. Diet is simple and if your house is a decent temp you don't need an additional heat source. I do believe they can throw different morphs but I'm not sure.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
KelliH
Leopard geckos are IMO easier to keep. Leos do require heat, however Rhacodactylus require daily or ever other day misting. They also are messier (the poop on the sides of the enclosure etc), and the enclosures themselves need to be cleaned more often, rather than just changing the paper towel substrate each week. I've been breeding leopard geckos on a medium scale (100-200 breeders) for many years, and bred my first cresteds in 2000. I've kept large collections of both for several years and did finally sell off my Rhac collection, because they took up so much more time than the leos.

Of course, the above is just my opinion based on my experiences. My passion for leopard geckos is something that I will always have, so I might be a tad biased. ;-)

Good luck with whatever you decide. Both leopards and cresteds are simple to breed and in the beginner category when it comes to keeping, so you can't go wrong either way!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
FosterHerpetological
Thanks alot for the input, but I was alos wondering one more thing. In your guys opinion what would you do? Get a whole group of either and focus on either leopards or cresteds? Or get a small group of them both and try them both out?
Stephen

Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
leaveittoweaver
Personally I'd start with one species. It'd be a lot less complicated to keep track of things.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
Personally I'd start with one species. It'd be a lot less complicated to keep track of things.
I agree. Start with one and really focus on getting the best you can afford. Quality over Quantity! If you have a successful season with them then you can decide if you want to expand your collection a bit.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
FosterHerpetological
Thanks alot for all of the help!
Stephen

Old 11-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
SamanthaJane13
Cresties are much easier to raise and breed.

1-They require no special heating or lighting conditions. If you're comfortable with the temps, so are they.

2-They do not require insects as food. They eat Repashy Crested Gecko Diet, but can be fed insects occasionally, as a treat.

3-The eggs hatch at room temperature.

BUT-even if you only plan to breed for the fun of it, they are VERY prolific. Two eggs every 30 to 45 days, and the females retain sperm, so even if you only wanted two babies, the eggs would keep coming until the sperm supply is used up.

What will you do with the eggs/babies when you've gotten all the babies you want??

That's a BIG consideration.

Here's a link to a long discussion on another forum which discusses several points to breeding/selling/etc. A lot of it wouldn't pertain to you unless you plan to sell, but it's worth the read just so you realize what you're getting into.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...=supply+demand

It's better to be informed BEFORE you breed...even if you breed a different species. Everyone thinks breeding/hatching is so easy, but that's only the beginning. You have to have plans for the extra offspring, and the market for MOST geckos is saturated at this point.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!