He Just won't gain weight...Is he stunted after being starved for 6 years? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
6y0ballpython
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankykeno
Just a thought here but this male has been a long time neglected snake, has been ill and underfed and is now refusing to eat. Personally I wouldn't think he's a good candidate for a breeding right now. Just my opinion here but I really feel that only animals (whether they be snake, dogs, horses, whatever or feeder rodents) in top condition should be put through the stress of breeding and reproduction.
I agree with you. We are going to the vet tomorrow and I have a fecal sample from both snakes that is recent and has been kept in the fridge. they have to send the samples out to another town so I wont have answers for a little while here. I think I will wait until i get him bigger and fatter before I breed them. He is willing though because he's producing plugs like crazy and is refusing to eat.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
6y0ballpython
Well, we went to the vet yesterday, had the fecal tests done for parasites (they don't have to send them out I guess) and everything is negative. The vet is not worried that he is underweight, just that he cannot afford to lost another gram. And now that he won't eat.....well, he thinks its because I introduced him to my female, and the sperm plugs would back that up as well. He told me to bring him back if he loses more than 50g of true body mass. Monty is in a shed right now, so I am hoping that after he sheds, he might be hungry. The vet told me it would be ok to put him in with the female if he eats after his shed. I will keep you all informed.....

Cherylee

Old 12-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #13
Cat_72
Cherylee......IF by chance he eats after his shed, putting him back in with your female may throw him right back off food. If he obviously cannot afford to lose more weight, why on earth would you take the chance? Breeding is stressful on the males, and they WILL lose weight.

Is breeding her now, this year, THAT important?

Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #14
6y0ballpython
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Cherylee......IF by chance he eats after his shed, putting him back in with your female may throw him right back off food. If he obviously cannot afford to lose more weight, why on earth would you take the chance? Breeding is stressful on the males, and they WILL lose weight.

Is breeding her now, this year, THAT important?
No, it's not life or death that I breed them, just chalk it up to jumping the gun. I keep going back and forth between, should I chance it?....Is he going to stay this weight and I'd have wasted a year?.....I don't know,...... I've been feeding him triple the amount for the past 8 months than he was getting with his previous, neglectful, two mice a month, diet. And he hasn't gained anything in those 8 months of increased diet. He has no parasites, he doesn't have big poops to lose that much weight, his poops are only undigested hair, no bones or other mouse parts undigested, so he is using all of what he eats. He has grown in length (3.5"), but not in girth. He was 12cm around when I got him in April, and hes still 12cm around now in Dec. He's been eating really good all these months without gaining........now since introducing him to the female, he's stopped eating all together. How is it possible that by trippling his diet for 8 months and he hasn't gained a gram and he hasn't any parasites? The only explanation is that he is just meant to be a small snake or he's been stunted into believing that he's supposed to stay at that weight. I agree, I think I am going to wait a year and see what happens. What if I put them together just for a few days the one time to see if they'd even acheive a lock? Would that totally screw things up?

Old 12-15-2006, 01:28 AM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
i suggest you hold off this year. Risking your males health should never be something you consider doing, or going back and forth on. It should only be a sure shot thing, and if you cant. you cant. dont rush them. theres always next year...

Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #16
Cat_72
Quote:
Is he going to stay this weight and I'd have wasted a year?.....
I don't call ensuring the health of any animal a waste of anything. I just don't understand why you seem to be in such a rush to breed...you have owned a snake for 8 months, and you lived just fine with out one at all before then....now you have 2.....why not just enjoy them for awhile instead of taking a chance with your male?

Have you thought about what you will do with the babies? A girl her size could easily produce 6-7 eggs, which means 6-7 separate enclosures with proper heat, hides, and humidity, 6-7 babies to get started eating, 6-7 babies to feed until well established and are ready to sell, and then what if you can't sell them? Do you have buyers lined up? Are you prepared to keep them for perhaps several months?

I know that they joy of seeing that first little nose pip out of that egg is a wonderful thing....one I wish all herp lovers get the chance to experience at least once.....but you're much better waiting until you know that both of your animals you already have are in prime health, and you are properly set up and prepared. It appears none of us here have any definite answers as to what the future holds for your boy, though I think we all agree that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #17
6y0ballpython
I am grateful for all of your very honest answers and I am going to wait until next year I have decided. It will be cheaper for me in the long run because I was just going to buy everything pre made to set up for the babies. I do have enough reliable people (6 so far) lined up to buy them. Mostly family. I would never sell or give one of my snakes to just someone who "wants to own a snake". I am a responsible reptile owner and feel that I care about my snake's welfare enough to do what is right. Obviously I take them to vets and bug the hell out of you guys asking many many questions.....ha ha....thanks again and Il'll keep you posted of how he does after his shed this next week when I offer him a nice juicy mouse. Hopefully he'll take the bait!! thanks again.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #18
Mooing Tricycle
Glad to hear!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!