new boa has mites - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
allreptiles1966
But at the same time,there's no BAD proof on using the Equate yet.It has been used long enough now that we should of heard about it.Same thing with that Reptile relief.That's seems to work ok from a lot of readings.
Although i do know that the Equate could take more years to be proven as useful for reptiles and no more harmful then the chemicals that Pam use's . We put the Equate on our heads.
Not me personally,buts it's used on millions of people.

I'm in no way against Pam,but if he cannot get that for whatever reason,theres others to use that have been proven to work well.
Just more options i guess.There's a list of stuff that people have been using,not saying its good.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
Focal
I honestly would not use a product that isn't labeled for use on animals nor provides instructions on how to use on animals. Many people use the other treatments and use it successfully, although, their practices vary. Saving a few dollars will not justify losing part of, or all of my collection.

I'm not really sure what mites can or cannot climb, but at this point it's probably best to assume they have super powers and can do everything. Until your first treatment, I would address that snake/room LAST. Wash in between snakes, make sure they are far away, conceal the room the best you can. If you want to use lice bedding spray, the best time to would be on your carpets AROUND the snake enclosure and on any rack/stand in which the reptile will not come into contact. This would help reduce spread.

I would see the vet in regards to the impaction, prolapse, whatever it is. Most of the time, if you don't know what's going on, it's probably best to seek a vet. Any home remedies could perpetuate the situation. Other than a clean sterile enviornment and maybe a warm soak, there isn't much I would personally try until I saw a vet.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
But at the same time,there's no BAD proof on using the Equate yet.It has been used long enough now that we should of heard about it.Same thing with that Reptile relief.That's seems to work ok from a lot of readings.
Although i do know that the Equate could take more years to be proven as useful for reptiles and no more harmful then the chemicals that Pam use's . We put the Equate on our heads.
Not me personally,buts it's used on millions of people.

I'm in no way against Pam,but if he cannot get that for whatever reason,theres others to use that have been proven to work well.
Just more options i guess.There's a list of stuff that people have been using,not saying its good.

My biggest problem with NIX/equate, isn't the fact that there isn't any proof that it is bad, but in inexperienced hands, it can be a deadly weapon to snakes.

Not everything on the internet is true and I think that leaks over to others experiences and practices, which is your only source on how to use NIX and Equate on animals. I know people that have killed snakes with both PAM and Equate ... both products are deadly and they will blame it on the product. I've had a person tell me that Equate was safer than PAM because they killed a snake with PAM.

In experienced hands, the other brands could be safe, but I want a product that has been tested and successfully used on reptiles by everyone in the field. When making a recommendation for someone that has never used any mite product, I will recommend one that will give them proper and safe instructions by the person that puts their name on the product. I don't want to be the guy that helped some kid kill his collection (not a strike at you).

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
allreptiles1966
I get it totally Nick.
I just said what was passed onto me and it worked well.It really wasn't about saving $5-$10 It was convenience!
Wal Mart was 1 mile away and no shipping wait.Needed to rid the boa of the mites.Alot of mites.And it was 1 boa.Not that amount matters.But not a whole collection to deal with and all the hard work and money involved in some of what some people have.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
I'm not really sure what mites can or cannot climb, but at this point it's probably best to assume they have super powers and can do everything.
I heard that mites can be carried on air currents as well.. but I don't know if that is true. they are nasty buggers that's for sure

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
ShadowAceD
Mites can climb, they just cannot jump. Even without jumping, they are obnoxiously determined travelers.

I never had mites until I moved to Florida.

In one year I had to battle them twice when no new animals even came in. I assume they were brought in going back and forth to the pet store for feeders before I began ordering them in bulk online.

Either way ... I used the RID method as I had on rescues in the past. It only worked for a few months, then the mites exploded again.

On the advice of others, I got PAM, used it and the problem never returned.

As a procautionary method against mites, because they cannot jump ... I put a thin layer of vaseline on some of my enclosures, primarily, the quarantine tanks I use. Mites will get stuck in the vaseline is trying to escape or enter the cage in most cases and it helps isolate it further.

As for the possible impaction, soak the boa in warm water for an hour or so and see if that helps remove it. If not, he needs to go to the vet.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
As a procautionary method against mites, because they cannot jump ... I put a thin layer of vaseline on some of my enclosures, primarily, the quarantine tanks I use. Mites will get stuck in the vaseline is trying to escape or enter the cage in most cases and it helps isolate it further.
That's an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
That's an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.
Served me well.

I should clarify though ... the vaseline should be at the points of potential entry, not everywhere. And you just smear it on with your finger. It stays for a long time before needing a new layer.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
Served me well.

I should clarify though ... the vaseline should be at the points of potential entry, not everywhere. And you just smear it on with your finger. It stays for a long time before needing a new layer.
Note taken.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
mikepanzarella
yeah the impactation looks like dryed fecal but its too small hes less then 24 inches hard to really tell what it is i will try to soak if that doesnt work have to take a vet trip
im not that new to reptiles ive had them all my life just never kept as many or collected them as ive started to over the last year this is the 1st time ive even seen a mite i knew what they were and looked like cause i spent/spend alot of time reading up on all the problems and proper housing for the reptiles and im still working on it
but i love the vaseline idea that is great im going to do that now
its going to take a few days for the pam to be ordered so im going to use the lice removal for the snake and just dump the cage
the best way i can think of not to over use was the idea of putting it on my hands and wiping the snake down let them sit for a few mins then soak them for an hour
this years be very good and bad had to deal with RI on one of my snakes cause i had improper housing and wasnt alot of humidity and had one dragon die this was and wasnt my fault i had the dragon 3 weeks but i went away for 2 weeks when i 1st got her but any dragon that dies in 3 weeks had something wrong with it before hand i know my dragon set ups are set the way they should be
the snakes i didnt use a snake rack they were in a fishtank and i tryed something i breeder told me to do funny the snake that got sick was the one i got from him 2 weeks after i got him i noticed the wheezing the other 11 ball pythons i had no problems but after that i sold off all but 2 ball pythons
so now i have 12 dragons 2 ball pythons 3 red tails
most of my dragons are in the mid 3-400 gram range my spider male is 1500 grams and my reg female is 2k grams the 3 red tails are hatchlings all around 2ft
i also breed rats dubai and trying to breed crickets (they go so fast)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!