first time Hogg Island Boa Breeder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
first time Hogg Island Boa Breeder

Hello, I picked up a proven breeder pair of hogg island boas. I've wanted to breed these snakes for years.
I can't find any useful info on breeding. I would appriceate any info or pointers.
I want to make sure I breed this year and don't mess up. This is my first time!

I really appriceate your time. Here's a photo of the pair. What do you guys think of them?
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
I'm in dire need of help.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
ShadowAceD
Look like Hog Island Crosses rather than pure Hogs. Definitely not pure Hogs (which, it is Hog, not Hogg).

As for breeding, there is plenty of information online (RedTailBoas.com has an Ultimate Care Guide in .PDF for that is informative) or you can purchase The Complete Boa Constrictor by Vin Russo which is also informative.

I am not trying to brush you off, but breeding takes a lot of time and research, not just a few generic answers.

It is something to be heavily considered. Especially in light that you would probably be making more Hog Island crosses. Is there really a market for them? To some extent I suppose, but would it be really easy for you to move out 15-30 babies? Maybe even more? I could not say, but I do not think so.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
as far as I know, breeding hog isle isn't too different from other B.C. imperator localites. I have heard that it's not always as successful (from posts on this forum and others). My female will need another year or two before I try to pair mine up.
some breeding info at this link: http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/care_breedingboas.htm

I agree with Diem, those do not look like pure hog isle to me either.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismaSandBoaMorphs View Post
I'm in dire need of help.
Dire need? Of advice on how to breed snakes? Woooooooow
(I saw this thread during the night, and also thought that they weren't pure hog island...my attempt at saying so seemed rather curt, so I didn't bother posting; but I don't mind saying that I agree with what has been said)

Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
I have the time and have been doing research for quite some time now.
So you don't think they are true hogs?
They are very orange, and I mean very orange. My flash on my phone takes a lot of color sway. I'll try to take another photo in the sunlight today.
I know you all think I'm wasting my time, this is something I enjoy doing.
As far as the ability to get rid of 20-30 babies, I have no problem doing so. I have a friend who owns a ball python shop who always sells my snakes for me in his shop, regardless of being balls or not, as well as multiple friends in the area that are asking for babies.
What would you guess thay are crosses of?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
The scales on her side are a creamsicle orange color.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Another thing is, what are these worth? I am curious to see if I got a good deal or not.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
@AbsoluteApril
Thank you. I found the information that you have shared helpful.
I am really concerned as to what these two snakes are if you guys don't believe they are 100% Hogs.

If anyone else has some input, please feel free to share!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
hhmoore
There really isn't much sense in asking for opinions if the photos you posted aren't representative of how they look.
As far as value, if they are are not pure hog island, they are worth no more than common boas...many would say they are worth less.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, hogg island boa