South Texas Report 4/8/05 - 4/10/05 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 AM   #1
Nathan Wells
South Texas Report 4/8/05 - 4/10/05

South Texas Report 4/8/05 - 4/10/05

4/8/05
My good friend Brent McKelvey and I just returned home from a quick trip down south. We left Houston around 10:00 and made our way down to Hebbronville. After settling into a hotel we decided to drive west into Bruni, Texas to search through various trash dumps around town before the evening rolled in.

1 adult Masticophis f. testaceus (found inside of old rolled up carpet), Webb Co.

After spending a good few hours in Bruni, we continued west into Aguilares where our night of collecting would begin. Since the daytime temperatures never reached over 90 degrees, our main goal for the night was to head south following the warmer weather, trying to avoid the cooler temperatures moving in from the north. We drove several hours through Webb, Zapata and Jim Hogg counties before retiring around 12:30 am.

2 sub-adult Thamnophis p. diabolicus (DOR), Webb Co.
1 adult Thamnophis m. marcianus (DOR), Webb Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Webb Co.
1 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Webb Co.
1 sub-adult Pituophis c. sayi (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 sub-adult Thamnophis p. diabolicus (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 sub-adult Elaphe g. meahllmorum (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult (56”) Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.

4/9/05
The next morning, we grabbed a quick bite to eat before making our way south of Hebbronville in search of early morning reptilian activity. We drove south through Agua Nueva, west over to Guerra and north into Bruni, where we would again comb through the area trash dumps. Temperatures quickly reached into the high 80’s and then into the low 90’s once we finally made it into Bruni.

2 adult Masticophis f. testaceus (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Masticophis f. testaceus (AOR), Starr Co.
1 yearling Thamnophis m. marcianus (found underneath piece of concrete), Webb Co.

Once evening came around, we headed out again south of Hebbronville. The temperatures dropped quickly but seemed to stabilize in the mid 70’s for most of the night. Again our strategy was to follow the warm weather as it slowly made its way to the border. Even though we were unaware of what the night had in store for us, our original plan was to hunt all night since we would be leaving for home in the morning.

1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 juvenile Pituophis c. sayi (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.

From 8:30 to a little after 10:00 we fell upon an amazing movement, finding several snakes just minutes apart from one another as we traveled west and then north along the various farm roads. Although we seemed to be at the right place at the right time, unfortunately most of these animals suffered the fate of other vehicles that shared the roads with us. We continued through the movement traveling through Starr, Zapata and Jim Hogg counties.

1 juvenile Crotalus atrox (DOR), Starr Co.
4 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Starr Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Starr Co.
2 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Starr Co.
1 juvenile Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
4 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
5 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co. (one monster measured out at 56”)
2 adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Thamnophis m. marcianus (DOR), Zapata Co.
2 adult Thamnophis m. marcianus (AOR), Zapata Co.
1 sub-adult Thamnophis p. diabolicus (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 adult Thamnophis p. diabolicus (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 adult Rhinocheilus l. tessellatus (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 adult Arizona e. arenicola (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 adult Arizona e. arenicola (AOR), Zapata Co.
1 adult Elaphe g. meahllmorum (DOR), Zapata Co.
1 yearling Crotalus atrox (DOR), Zapata Co.
2 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Zapata Co.

After a good run south to the border we made our way northwest up into Webb County in hopes that the wave of movement would continue despite the cooler temperatures.

2 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co. (an amazing beast at nearly 60”)
2 yearling Thamnophis m. marcianus (DOR), Webb Co.
4 adult Arizona e. arenicola (DOR), Webb Co.
1 yearling Elaphe g. meahllmorum (DOR), Webb Co.
1 sub-adult Elaphe g. meahllmorum (DOR), Webb Co.
1 adult (21”) Lampropeltis t. annulata (DOR), Webb Co. (very disappointing to find!!)
2 yearling Crotalus atrox (DOR), Webb Co.
13 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Webb Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Webb Co.
3 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Webb Co. (One of these was unbelievably large being close to 70 inches. At first we thought it might have been a dead coyote so we got out to investigate further. Us admiring it soon caught the eye of a few Border Patrol agents who proceeded to search the car and waste a little time with us.)

Nearing the end of our venture, we headed back south to find the temperatures still in the low 70’s. We cruised down a few more farm roads through Jim Hogg County (in hopes of maybe finding a live annulata) before calling it a night.

1 adult Rhinocheilus l. tessellatus (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Arizona e. arenicola (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 sub-adult Arizona e. arenicola (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Arizona e. arenicola (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult (27”) Lampropeltis t. annulata (DOR), Jim Hogg Co. (go figure..just my luck!!!)
1 adult Heterodon n. kennerlyi (DOR), Jim Hogg Co. (measured out at 28”..county size record?)
2 yearling Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
5 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
3 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Jim Hogg Co.
1 adult Crotalus atrox (AOR), Jim Hogg Co.

4/10/05
We slept in late the next morning before heading back home. On the way home we found the following.

1 adult Pituophis c. sayi (DOR), Duval Co.
1 adult Coluber c. faviventris (DOR), Mc Mullen Co.
1 sub-adult Crotalus atrox (DOR), Mc Mullen Co.
1 adult Coluber c. faviventris (DOR), Live Oak Co.

Even though it felt short lived, we had the most incredible outing that I have ever witnessed in South Texas. Although it had not rained in sometime and the temperatures were not ideal, the animals were sure on the move. It is unfortunate to see this many DORs in a single weekend and even more heartbreaking when a few happen to be Mexican milks. I am now 0 for 6 dead annulatas in 3 nights. I am beginning to think they are born dead on the roads!?! LOL…Hopefully, I will return in a few weeks to break this curse.

Nathan Wells
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Osiris X
Out of all those snakes you found, you only took 2 pictures of them?

Old 04-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Osiris X
Make that 3...

Old 04-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Nathan Wells
Osiris X,
No, I actually took several pictures of many individual snakes. I just posted only a few with this report. I normally don't take pictures of DORs and I usually don't waste too much time photographing live animals when there is an obvious band of movement. When you know the animals are moving...hunt hard and fiddle around later. Most of the time I pick up the animals I want pictures of and wait until I have time to spare to do so.
If you want to see more pictures, simply send me an e-mail.
Nathan Wells

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!