This is for Mike Chambers!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
sppeavy
This is for Mike Chambers!!!

Hey, its Shaun in Topeka. I saw your Texas post on another website. I was there a week before you and only found WDBs, a few blacktails, and a real nice gopher snake. Anyways, I am heading to Ottawa to visit some family this weekend and was wondering if you knew any good areas to herp around there. I hear there are some timber rattler dens in Franklin County, so that would be cool. I have been finding milks and some ratsnakes here again. The cool down is great for snakes. i saw some DORs and some AORs, so i started looking again, and it was a good idea. Any help in Franklin County would be great. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
old guy
I will be in the Big Bend region for

a month or more in Oct. doing some reptile and bat studies self appointed.
Nope on the Franklin county den that I know of because the devastation of the past several years of roadwork and other. I don't mean this as a mean gesture or anything but if there is any more of any kind of significant problems and I'm talking even foot traffic of this den site........in my opinion the horridus won't proliferate back in population. This den has become somewhat fragile.
Now there , I haven't done much work on the horridus of Ks in the past few years after several dens of Miami and Johnson county was totally eliminated and annihilated !
The regional wildlife office here in Emporia had the nerve to ask me if i thought the horridus should still be on the " sinc " list. Of course i said that if they keep building over, covering, and destroying the dens that the snake will be on or near the expiration list one of these days in Ks.
Years ago there was a den out around centropolos Ks on some county road heading west of 59. I think your map shows that road.
Good luck on finding and i bet you will find at least one den someplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
Hey, its Shaun in Topeka. I saw your Texas post on another website. I was there a week before you and only found WDBs, a few blacktails, and a real nice gopher snake. Anyways, I am heading to Ottawa to visit some family this weekend and was wondering if you knew any good areas to herp around there. I hear there are some timber rattler dens in Franklin County, so that would be cool. I have been finding milks and some ratsnakes here again. The cool down is great for snakes. i saw some DORs and some AORs, so i started looking again, and it was a good idea. Any help in Franklin County would be great. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
sppeavy
Im not totally after a den site!

I just have only seen 1 live timber rattler since i have been here in kansas. I did see a DOR in Olathe a week ago. I forgot to ad the checkered garter and suboc i also found in texas. I was only there for a few days, so better luck next time. Ill road hunt where you said, and ill try to post some photos if i find anything. Thanks

Old 12-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
Zonata64
Looking for Shaun Peavy

All,

We are looking for contact info for Shaun Peavy or Shaun himself. We traded him some herps last year and he owes us a little over $300. We have tried to contact him but he doesn't respond. I wanted to give a shout out to the herpers on the forum before we place negative ratings on him in this forum. If anyone has contact info on him please let us know.

Take Care,

Mike Welker
Mickey Arnold
North Florida Zoological
NFZ@cox.net
(915) 595-8831 mike
(352) 256-7620 mickey

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!