Armadillo Eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Matt2979
Armadillo Eggs

First of all, this is not my personal recipe, but one that I came across on FB. And, NO, armadillos do NOT lay eggs--LOL. These got their name from their looks. If you like spicy foods, you should love these!

To get started, you need:

7 - 10 Large Fresh Jalapeño peppers
1 pound sausage
1 cup Bisquick® Baking Mix
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar or Mexican cheese
1 (8 ounce) package Monterey Jack or Pepper-Jack cheese
Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste

Take fresh, whole jalapenos, cut off the stem and enough top to see the insides. Scoop out the membrane and seeds (save if you wish to increase the heat). Stuff the peppers with cubed Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese.

In a medium bowl, mix 1-pound sausage, 1-cup Bisquick, 1-8 ounce package shredded cheese, salt & ground pepper. To increase the heat, mix in some of the seeds and/or membrane that you scooped out (membrane seems to retain a lot more heat than the seeds). Mix thoroughly. (Without the peppers, this part of the recipe is my basic recipe for making sausage balls.)

Take enough sausage mixture to form a thin patty, a little bigger than your hand. This will be wrapped all around the pepper. Don't make it too thin or it will come apart during cooking. You can lay out a patty, place the cheese-filled pepper in it, and then "blanket" the pepper. Try to keep the layer of sausage even around the pepper to ensure getting it completely cooked. It should look like an egg (shape) when you're done.

Wipe down a frying pan with a little virgin olive oil, and cook the eggs over med-high heat. They will start to crack when done. Keep them turned to ensure even cooking and no burning. And cook them DONE!! No pink, undone sausage in the finished product!!

Serve with pepper jelly or spicy mayo and enjoy!

I was already trying to figure out what I wanted to do with some of these peppers this weekend. My jalapeno plants are so full of peppers ready to pick that they're about to fall out of their pots (next year, everything is going in the ground). I'll make a few poppers, too, but I'm cooking some of these, this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Metachrosis
I'll give you a real old recipe later today
Mean while round up some nice quail,beef/venison/elk/bear jerky,bacon,
cream cheese and a few good peppers

Old 09-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Metachrosis
WHERES THEM EGGS?

Whipped up a batch of eggs this morning and theyll be smoking here
in acouple of hrs.
2 bag limits of dove are cleaned too....... Mmmm

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
snowgyre
Oh dear God, this recipe is amazing. You, my friend, have just put the apple on the tree of knowledge for those of us who are trying to diet. How dare you tempt us into such evil! :-0

Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
WHERES THEM EGGS?

Whipped up a batch of eggs this morning and theyll be smoking here
in acouple of hrs.
2 bag limits of dove are cleaned too....... Mmmm
I never did get time to cook any this weekend, but today is my wife's birthday. If I'm able, I'm going to try a batch today, maybe to go with lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Oh dear God, this recipe is amazing. You, my friend, have just put the apple on the tree of knowledge for those of us who are trying to diet. How dare you tempt us into such evil! :-0
LOL! I sure don't need to be eating too much sausage and cheese, myself...but I love the stuff!!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Matt2979
Well, we finally got around to trying this recipe. My wife cooked them in a skillet on the stove top over med heat. She did a great job of getting all of the sausage completely done, but the peppers were still crunchy, and the cheese not nearly as melted as we hoped for. We're thinking that we may try it again, but next time in the oven to better cook the pepper. If anyone else tries these, I'd love to hear how yours turned out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!