Avocados? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Celtic Constrictors
I used to catch lightning bugs by the hundreds and sell them to a researcher working on bioluminescent powered lighting technology. Took a few days to fill the jar then freeze them. 5 years old and making $10 a weekend chasing critters!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Well, let me just give you my little anecdotal information.

I have many avos on my place.

Haas, Bacon, Fuerte, Holiday, and Gwen. They can be a integral part of meals around here at different times.

Along with the humans here the dogs love the avos that hit the ground. My two labs and GSD have eaten them for years and I seen zilch in side-affects. They are healthy as can be. They have been doing so for about five years.

Now my real world experience in contrast of that study.

As many here know I have rabbits, chickens, turkeys, goats , etc..

With the goal of being more self sufficient all the tree cuttings, leaves, leftover fruit has always gone to the animals. My rabbits do not perish after eating avocado leaves or chewing gnawing on the bark. My goats (Nigerian, pygmy, crosses of) have never experienced the problems in that study.

They also get the cuttings from all the different types of fruit trees here. The goats and rabbits have dined on countless avo, passion fruit vines and many different fruit tree trimmings.

Never thought about avocados being harmful. Never had any negative experiences.

However, I had heard that Loquat seeds were toxic so I made a termination to remove any fruit before the branches and leaves went to the animals. The goats and rabbits devour those leaves too.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
I have also seen people run bush goats through avo orchards. I assuming the owners of the goats wouldn't let that happen if they were experiencing those types of problems. Wild rabbits are bountiful in all the avo orchards around here as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Metachrosis
My mutts all eat Guacamole several times per week,their intake is based primarily on mine
I have a local vendor that handles legit Hass* and she hasnt charged me over $.25ea for nearly 20 yrs,therefore its "plenty to excessive".
Im the only one to see negative signs as they are pretty fattening and I can see a weight gain of 2-3lbs on weeks I indulged abit to much.

The goats next door get all of our veggie refuse,they love the avo seed and skin as much as anything else,they eat pretty much anything and are never "full".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!