beardies and small children - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
TooManyBurmese
beardies and small children

I keep mainly larger boids, and I will admit, I have never kept any lizards or other "footed" reptiles. I have a neice who frequently visits to see my "zoo" and her family is interested in getting her a beardie. She is 12 years old and very responsible, but as I know nothing of their temperments, I can't give advice on the matter.

For those of you who raise beardies and also have children in the house, how are they together? Will a young CB beardie be able to grow up and tolerate a child's attentions?

I do understand you can't tame a reptile. I relearn that almost daily with my guys here.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
pitbulllady
Bearded Dragons and Children

I left out the word "small" in this case, since I don't consider a 12-year-old to be a "small child", but one which IS definately old enough to understand and follow through with responsibilities.

Comparing Bearded Dragons to large boids, or any snake, is like comparing a dog to a 'possum. No offense, I love my snakes, and I've kept several species over the years, but my Beardie is a whole different ballgame! Beardies not only tolerate human attention, but actually seem to crave and seek it. I know mine will do whatever he can to get my attention and be picked up and held. As long as it's a well-bred, good-tempered Beardie, it's not really necessary to purchase a very young one to raise in order to have a rewarding pet. Many adults are just naturally very friendly, even those that have been primarily kept as breeders. They are not typically flighty or prone to nipping, though there are, of course, exceptions. I would most definately consider Beardies capable of being tame in the same sense that ANY animal can be tame, and given the generations of selective breeding in human-controlled situations, for size, temperament, and colors, you can almost consider them to be domesticated.

pitbulllady

Old 09-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
CAV
I have 4 Beardies and a 6yo. He loves them and they are actually more tolerant than the family dog. Adults are especially interested in what's going on in the house and beardies are extremely social by nature. I let them run around loose in the living room and my son just watches with amazement.

I'd recommend them as a great beginner reptile.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
TooManyBurmese
Quote:
Comparing Bearded Dragons to large boids, or any snake, is like comparing a dog to a 'possum. No offense
I only stated my own limited experience to show how little information I know about beardies. I wasn't comparing them at all. I just wanted it clear that I needed advice as a "newbie" to the bearded dragon.

Would a younger bearded dragon be best, or should she start out with an adult, a more hardy animal?

Old 09-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #5
pitbulllady
Go With An Adult

or a sub-adult animal, one that is already well-established, since babies can be quite delicate. If she can find an animal that is already eating commercial Bearded Dragon food, that's even better. Be aware that lizards have much more complex needs, especially insofar as lighting and vitamin supplementation is concerned, than snakes, which makes them much more high-maintainance. It's often possible to find older juveniles that are "hold-backs", kept by the breeder to determine how well they will fit into a breeding program, which are offered for sale. I have not seen any difference in personality between males and females, though, unlike iguanas.

pitbulllady

Old 09-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
CAV
I would agree that an older Beardie would be better suited for a child. They tend to be much more tolerant of handling.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
TooManyBurmese
Thanks a bunch guys

I will be shopping at the White Plains show next weekend.

Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
jnsdragons
Kids and Beardies

We have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old. All our dragons, adults, juvi's and babies are held by our children. Like it has been said it is better for the kids to handle juvi's and adults, due to the fact baby dragons are jumpy and skiddish and tend to scare my kids a little.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
TooManyBurmese
For all of you waiting at the edge of your seat... here's an update

I bought her a sub adult beardie from a breeder at the show. I took your advice and verified it was eating commercial food. I handled quite a few and chose the one that seem alert, yet not too skittish.

I have never even touched a beardie, so this was a new and fun experience for me. I can totally see how easy it is for these little guys to steal your heart!

Old 09-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
Hey Danni, come to my little store. Got the perfect beardie for ya. Just as long as the little bugger hasnt sold. Calm as a can be, not to jumpy or any of that, actually fell asleep on my shirt one day.
Anybody who has seen my in the petstore knows Im not alone.
Either got the Arizona King, or Uro, even back in the day a big ole Red Tegu. I don't like wandering the store alone, and the beardie had his cute lil head poking of my my pocket, on the chest of my shirt, his little front extremities out, and sleeping. I was on the verge of buying him. Until I realized I had no room at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!