Corn x King??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
dturner100
Corn x King???

Hi, well I've been considering a few hybrids, and one I've come across is a corn snake bred to a king snake. At first I'd believed that this was impossible because of their family differences. BUT... I've as of late actually seen them in person.

My only concern with this is the possibility of the king eating the corn snake. Would there be ways to safe guard against this happening?

I was thinking for one to use a female corn snake to a male king, and also make sure that the female corn is MUCH larger than the male king.

So if anybody has any experience with this, or has any related info I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Dustin

Old 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
PJCReptiles
Dustin,
I have never personally crossed a corn to a king but I do breed some kings and I do breed corns. We also just picked up a Jungle Corn (corn x cali king). I have one female Caliking that bites the albino Caliking male but she didnt bite the Blue Eyed Blonde when they bred. I bred a Caliking to a the BE Blonde and it was text book perfect! I also have bred MBKs with no issues.

If you have the king fed well, it should not see the corn as food, but mating of kings can be more bitie than corns. I would say if you have a well handled king it should be fine to breed with a corn. Of course, you will have to watch them, kings can breed for hours! I had a pair hooked up for 7 hours!!

Good luck!
PJ

Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Here are some pics of Jungles (Corn x King) for your viewing pleasure.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
MesozoicReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturner100 View Post
Hi, well I've been considering a few hybrids, and one I've come across is a corn snake bred to a king snake. At first I'd believed that this was impossible because of their family differences. BUT... I've as of late actually seen them in person.

My only concern with this is the possibility of the king eating the corn snake. Would there be ways to safe guard against this happening?

I was thinking for one to use a female corn snake to a male king, and also make sure that the female corn is MUCH larger than the male king.

So if anybody has any experience with this, or has any related info I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
Dustin
It's best to use a male corn with a female king. IME when doing the cross male kings don't stay locked up long enough with the corn if you are able to make them lock up. Male corns however seem to be a lot easier to coax into mating with the female king and stay locked up long enough for fertilization to occur.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
MesozoicReptiles
I forgot to mention a lot of Calking Males like to bite the back of the neck of the female they are mating with and when he attempts that with any corn they freak out and run for the hils.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!