Everglades Rat Snake Regurg - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
BeauBoi
Everglades Rat Snake Regurg

Hi All!

I have a pair of scaleless Everglades, and over all they are my heartiest (and feistiest) snakes. However, last night we had a MAJOR temperature drop, and I didn't discover until this morning that the night-light over my female's cage had gone out.

I fed her yesterday evening (before I knew we were going to have the cold snap) at about 7:00pm. The cold snap happened sometime around 8 or 9 pm (I think). At 7:30am while checking my snakes I discovered the regurgitated hopper in her cage.

This is the first time I have ever had a snake regurgitate, even though I have read about it happening to others and seen pictures. The fuzzie she "threw up" wasn't at all what I expected a regurge to look like. It wasn't at all digested, it just looked like it's fur had been "slicked-back".

In any case, I have read quite a few threads about regurgitation protocols, and I have seen some mixed messages in a few of them.

I was hoping someone with more experience in this area might give me some advice as to how I should proceed. The snake seems fine, she is active and was crawling around her cage "hunting" throught the day today, but everything I have read says to wait 7-8 days before I feed her again, and when I do feed her to give her a pinkie. Is that accurate for a yearling snake...?

Thanks in Advance!
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
I saw Everglades rat and got excited, then I saw the topic and got sad lol. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with anyone regurgitating but it makes sense to me to wait at least a few days before feeding again. It's not like it's going to hurt them to go without for a few days.

I only have one Everglades Rat and he's a jerk lol, I think he holds the record for the most bites in one cleaning session.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
I saw Everglades rat and got excited, then I saw the topic and got sad lol. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with anyone regurgitating but it makes sense to me to wait at least a few days before feeding again. It's not like it's going to hurt them to go without for a few days.

I only have one Everglades Rat and he's a jerk lol, I think he holds the record for the most bites in one cleaning session.
Lol I don't know, I think my male could give your's a run for his money! Mine (Smog) was the first snake to EVER bite me, and at the time thought to myself, "Well, was bound to happen eventually..". NOW though, it has happened so many times I have come to believe that he enjoys and even looks forward to it! XD
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I've had a few regurgs in my time and I agree I'd wait a few days before trying to feed again. If it's a one-off I wouldn't worry, maybe it was the temp drop, or maybe a bad hopper.

I'd keep a special eye on this snake though - if it happens again it could be the sign of something you'd want a vet to check.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I've had a few regurgs in my time and I agree I'd wait a few days before trying to feed again. If it's a one-off I wouldn't worry, maybe it was the temp drop, or maybe a bad hopper.

I'd keep a special eye on this snake though - if it happens again it could be the sign of something you'd want a vet to check.
Thank you, Helen. I appreciate the response. I will wait until Saturday, when I feed my hatchlings, and feed her a pinkie then. One pinkie to start and see how she holds it down, right?
~Beau

Old 02-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Yes, I'd say so. Hopefully all will go smoothly and you can stop worrying.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
BeauBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Yes, I'd say so. Hopefully all will go smoothly and you can stop worrying.
Thank you!
~Beau

Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
BeauBoi
I should have updated this 2 weeks ago!
Taking baby steps, I followed the regurgitation-protocols to the T and she is now eating well again. It was a long process, and she is a very shy feeder, but I thought it best not to take any chances...
I really appreciate the advice for all of y'all!
~Beau

Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Good news, glad to hear she's doing fine. Also good that you have a likely explanation for the regurg - sometimes it only takes a little stress, but an unexplained regurg is never a happy moment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!