Sanctions to dissuade toxic users? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Occidentalis
Sanctions to dissuade toxic users?

I appreciate all the work the moderators do to keep this place running smoothly and respectfully. It's a welcome relief from the facebook style drama and nonsense that seem so rampant. I know that's no accident and I try to support this place as much as I can within my means.

That being said, I think there is a problem with toxic posting that threatens this. Responses to valid criticism are sometimes met with lackadaisical off topic posts, sometimes even including personal public records in an attempt to shame the users about their personal lives. I have reported these posts when I think they are absolutely out of line, but it is a general problem. This isn't an issue of disagreement, it's an obvious troll scenario where the troll is baiting other members, and it's a respect issue. Maybe what I'm asking for is just the "respond to other users with respect" infraction to be given out more liberally? I wish I had a better operational fix, but it's really a "know it when you see it" kind of thing. It really used to only be an issue with low post volume scammers, and was dealt with quite quickly. Unfortunately now that's not the case. The very nature of troll/baiting posts elicits a response, often negative, because it gets the blood boiling. When it comes right down to it, the quality of discourse on this website is degraded by allowing users of this caliber to continue unabated, especially if it's accompanied by large amounts of green chiclets.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
bcr229
One of the forums I help admin has a "Miserablize" (or similar word) option that can be assigned to a user. Basically it makes the web site respond so slowly that eventually the user gives up trying to access it and finds other places to troll.

I think it's a built-in UBB thing so it may already be an available here.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
meowmeowkazoo
I agree. For some, this is a very literal "pay to play" game where they can pay $25 to dole out negative karma and troll other users, with no end game in mind other than sowing chaos.

There are some ways that this balances itself out. Posts in the BOI can't be deleted or edited, so other members are made aware of the true personality of some members. But when that person doesn't care what the community thinks, and only wants to harass people until being temporarily banned again, there is no benefit in keeping them around.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
snowgyre
I agree with Alex. There is Facebook level trolling by some members here that is simply toxic to the community. I'm not sure how this can be dealt with objectively, but it's apparent that temporary bans have not changed the behavior of repeat offenders. I like Melinda's idea, but that would only slow, not stop, the trolling.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Occidentalis
To be clear I'm not suggesting an outright ban on a specific person, just maybe a more liberal application of the respect clause, or something similar effectively. Maybe more points for a respect infraction? Like I said I wish I had a better answer so it sounds less like "bitching" with no proposed solution, but I felt strongly enough that it was a problem that was worth bringing up.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Lucille
I agree that some behaviors here are toxic to the community. Perhaps now that we have an additional mod there can be more attention given, infractions given, and bans when necessary and earned by poor behavior.
There have been times when I think instead of being a troll, one person fitting the description of this thread possibly has a serious drinking problem or similar, because at times the person can be quite charming. That of course is not an excuse to hurt the community, but I hope that all people in that sort of situation get help, if that is what they are actually crying out for.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Occidentalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
a serious drinking problem or similar
I've considered this likely to be the case for most of these occurrences. It is sad, but as you say, not acceptable conduct.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
One of the forums I help admin has a "Miserablize" (or similar word) option that can be assigned to a user. Basically it makes the web site respond so slowly that eventually the user gives up trying to access it and finds other places to troll.

I think it's a built-in UBB thing so it may already be an available here.
I'm not sure if I agree with that as a solution. I believe those who have behavior that is inappropriate and against site rules should be presented with a clear and particular reprimand and consequence matching the seriousness of the misbehavior, so that if they subsequently choose to behave they may again participate in the community.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Simply ignoring it seems to be working on at least one thread.... (warning, this is in "Hell")

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=550073

Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
meowmeowkazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Simply ignoring it seems to be working on at least one thread.... (warning, this is in "Hell")

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=550073
The problem with that is that there are so many people here who are new to Fauna or the Internet in general that don't understand the concept of ignoring trolls, or who aren't mentally prepared to do so. It ends up being disruptive because no matter what, at least one person (or more) will fall for those tactics.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!