Does anyone boycott your house because of snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
SPJ
Does anyone boycott your house because of snakes?

I had some relatives over for Christmas and this is the first time some of them have EVER agreed to come over. The only reason they agreed was I had to cover the racks with blankets, lock the door to the room, and tack a blanket up to cover the doorway.

I was pissed. This was stupid just so people I could really care less about (my ho sister in law and her boyfriend) will show up. The wife wanted to accomodate them for "Christmas".

They were STILL afraid a snake would get them.

I say forget about them. If they cannot accept the fact that there are snakes in the house (they will not even have to see them unless they go into the back room and slide open a tub) then who cares if the come over.

This was the final straw.
I am sick and tired of having to cater to others because they are idiots who will not listen to anything I say.
The snakes cannot attack them in cages locked in other rooms.

Anyone else get their house boycotted just becuase there are snakes in it?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Wilomn
I have on occasion but it's more about what you'd do to keep your wife happy than about being irritated personally, I think.

So what if they don't understand. It's better to have a happy wench than the bitch from hell.

Of course anyone who know me knows I have one or two snakes but few know the actual number, even I don't know the actual number, but it's sort of irrelevant.

It was nice of you to be nice to your wife and that's good enough.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
hhmoore
Accomodating a couple of relatives for a holiday visit, while annoying and frustrating on some levels, is not that big a deal...and, as Wes stated, it's usually well worth it in the long run, lol.

My dilemma is a different version of the same story - I'm trying to figure out how to sell my house (short of moving all the critters out). Aside from not wanting goodness-knows-who to know exactly what I have in my home, it becomes an issue because I can't exactly deny them entrance to certain rooms or block off sections of other rooms from view. My best hope is to find somebody I know that is in the market for a small house on a big lot (well, big for where it is). And sell off as much fluff as possible between now and then.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
SPJ
I don't really care for this ho and her boyfriend. That is what really ticked me off the most. I had to do all of this to get them to come over. My wife doesn't even like them.

And to top it off they don't watch their kid and as a result, I ended up with a drink spilled on my BRAND NEW COUCH! No apologies, no nothing. The only good thing is I now know the warrenty against stains and tears I paid extra for was worth it since they had a crew out on the 26th to clean it. Later on that night I had to get the kid out of the dog food and water bowls WHILE THE BOYFRIEND WATCHED the kid playing in them and doing nothing!

I told the wife, I will NEVER accomodate these people again. If they won't come, TOO BAD. They are idiots who have no respect for my house and are terrible with their kid. I won't even go into how many time that poor kid has ended up in the ER becuase she got hurt due to these idiots not keeping an eye on her.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I don't really care for this ho and her boyfriend. That is what really ticked me off the most. I had to do all of this to get them to come over. My wife doesn't even like them.

And to top it off they don't watch their kid and as a result, I ended up with a drink spilled on my BRAND NEW COUCH! No apologies, no nothing. The only good thing is I now know the warrenty against stains and tears I paid extra for was worth it since they had a crew out on the 26th to clean it. Later on that night I had to get the kid out of the dog food and water bowls WHILE THE BOYFRIEND WATCHED the kid playing in them and doing nothing!

I told the wife, I will NEVER accomodate these people again. If they won't come, TOO BAD. They are idiots who have no respect for my house and are terrible with their kid. I won't even go into how many time that poor kid has ended up in the ER becuase she got hurt due to these idiots not keeping an eye on her.
That's a different picture entirely.

Too bad for the kid. I wouldn't blame you a bit for not accomodating them in the future.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
SPJ
My wife decided that it would be nice to have everyone over for a change. I was mad about the steps I needed to take to ensure these 2 would come over.

After how the night went, I told my wife NEVER again. I will not go out of my way to accomodate people because they are afraid of the snakes.

My wife seems to think I should be more sensitive to other peoples fears. Well, they don't care about the safety of their kid or of not ruining my brand new furniture, so why should I care about their idiotic fear of snakes?

I can see it now. This is going to be an argument with the wife when it's one of the kids birthdays. We always had the family party at the in laws because the ho wouldn't come to our house. Well, the inlaws need a break. They are getting old and already have to house and feed the ho's other kid who is a 23 year old that she doesn't take care of (he can't take care of himself either).

I don't think I should have to do anything for these people. If they won't show up to see their niece/nephew on their birthday, then they are not worth it.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I don't really care for this ho and her boyfriend.
The fact that you have referred to her as some form of ho ("this ho", "the ho", "my ho sister-in-law) in every post kind of clued me in, lol. I pick up on subtle nuances like that.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
I have a couple of family members who won't come to my house because of the snakes. However, no amount of locking of doors would change the fact. They just will not come in my house period.
It's not an issue though, and nobody has any problem with it.

It does however bring to mind another incident from many years ago, and a course of action it looks like you'll need to take in the future.
I had a dog, a Chow, and she was exceptionally agressive due more to a thyroid condition than to my training. She simply hated everyone and everything that did not live in the house with her.
When company would come over she went into ultra protection mode. As long as we were in the house, other people were safe from harm, but the dog kept a strict eye on them and they weren't allowed free roam of the house. She basically allowed them to sit on the couch then sat in front of them to ensure they stayed where she could keep an eye on them.

She had a particular dislike for a certain woman in my family who I also didn't care for. After a few visits in which the dog kept her more or less pinned to the couch she decided she had to say something.
She informed me that in the future I would have to put the dog up when she was there or she wasn't coming back.
My reply to her was that the dog lived there and she was just visiting. She never sat foot in my house again after that.
I preferred the company of the dog anyway.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Does anyone boycott your house because of snakes?
Yes, I have had my bad experiences.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=84610

Old 01-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
The Reptile House
Yep same here. All my family thinks my hubby and I are completely nuts. Everything has to be locked up and they fly into the bathroom because the reptile room is right there next to the bathroom door. It's kind of funny but sucks because my family would come and feed the cats and the dog while we went on vacation and now it's absolutely not. Except my dad hes pretty cool with helping us out-he hates it but looks the other way.
My grandma however seems to find every article in any paper about Salmonella, snake bites, snake attacks and whatever else she can scramble up and pulls the articles out of her purse and makes it a really big deal that she makes it known what she found in the paper and hands it directly to us!
I usually rub it in and show her my latest bite or scar of some sort. It is actually funny to here the story she goes home and tells the rest of the relatives, as if they tried to eat me!!
I understand completely where you are comming from. I understand other peoples fears and concerns.
I like it that they don't come over though, that means I do not have to keep the house spotless every waking moment that they might stop by .
Have a great new year everyone!!
Shanell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!