Looking for people with Corn Snake knowledge and Patience - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
CeaserGirl938
Looking for people with Corn Snake knowledge and Patience

I'm 17, and recently getting into owning reptiles. They totally fascinate me and I love providing good housing and care with mutual happiness to me and my pets. I currently just own a Fat Tailed gecko in the way of reptiles. I have my cat and dog too which both love to check her out in her tank but have never tried to harm her. I even have pics of the gecko crawling on my dog while shes upside down sleeping.

My real reason for posting though is that I am interested in getting into raising a corn snake. I read that they were a good beginner snakes and since I do not have the space for a ball python, I thought a corn would be the way to go.

Yesterday, my dad and I spent about 6 hours building a cage for my future snake with materials around the yard/shed. It is 36"(L)x16"(W)x13"(H). From what I have read most places this is a plenty large sized habitat. I took the time to paint it and seal it, and I plan to cover the sides of the cage with backdrop and plants/other items.

My next step, before I go onto getting my snake, is to learn more about it and complete my cage for it. I want everything to be perfectly safe and healthy for my future pet. So I'm looking for people who can help with suggestions on what steps to take next on making my habitat suitable. I can chat on here or on Skype (xyst_sin). Skype I'm on all day long so that would be easier but I'm up for checking both often.

Thank you to everyone that reads/helps. Ill be posting pics soon of the box that was built.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
SteelJawEmily
Hey there, I'm glad you are being responsible and doing your research before you get your new baby

Here is a link to a forum that helped me a lot when I first got into snakes.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/

But if you want to stay on here then here is a check list that will probably help you a bit...I'll keep it simple though.

1. Under Tank Heater
2. Thermostat to control the UTH...because sometimes they can have heat spikes and get too hot and that can actually burn your snake, and we don't want that!
3. Thermometer/Hydrometers
4. Aspen Snake bedding
5. Hides...be careful when you choose these to make sure there are no hidden spots where your new baby can hide and get stuck. If you find a hide you want but it has little holes in it, you can fill these holes with Acrylic or Silicone.
6.Water dish
7. Feeding tongs...these are always good simply because they save your fingers, but not necessary.

You will definitely want to make sure you make a secure lid for you home-made viv. Baby corns tend to be VERY good at escaping.

I'll post a picture of my set up so you can see what a good one should look like. I have a one year old Corn named Donatello that lives in a 40gal breeder with a locking hood.

Congrats on your new addiction and feel free to ask any questions!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
CeaserGirl938
Thanks so much for the reply!

My first concern is the under tank heating. My thing that I built is closer to a wooden box than a tank, with front and top ventilation and viewing. It's reinforced with screen and some metal mesh wiring. All the edges and staples that were used to secure everything are covered so my snake should not be harmed by it, but under heating may prove to be difficult through the wood I'm thinking. Is there a way that I could use a heating pad underneath bedding? Or maybe use a heat lamp/rock and monitor the temperature?

Also, I've never seen an actual in cage/tank thermostat. I'll have to look up the details on that. Having my wood box might prove to be annoying at first but I think it was a good project to work on. If anything I'll end up using it for my geckos and get an actual tank for my snake.

About hides, would a corn prefer a mossy, false bottom hide where it can go down under stuff or just a normal couple log like things to stay in?

Thanks again for all the help. I'll put pictures up in the morning of my cage. ^^

Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
SteelJawEmily
Well I would have to see what your "box" looks like before I say go for a heat lamp option. The thing about corns is they like to burrow, so usually the UTH is best. But if you need to, the Heat lamp is always a good option too. You don't want to use a heat rock because those tend to get pretty hot and can burn your snake, those are mainly used for Beardies and the like.

As for hides, it's pretty much up to you. You can use everything from a used Kleenex box to something fancy like the hide you were talking about. You just want to make sure that there is no place where your snake can get stuck (because they will find it lol) and also that it isn't too rough.

The thermostat (some people call them Rheostats) that I'm talking about is actually something that just plugs into your UTH and you can control the dial to what ever heat you want it at. Like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...eptile+Heating
That's the one I have, I keep it at Medium all the time. And you can get ones that will hold up to 5 or 6 different things as well, and can control different temperatures and times too...but I found that to be too complicated so I went with the simple one :P

Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
CeaserGirl938
My "box" cage. >.<

This is an inside shot looking down into it.

This is a shot of the inside/outside with the top fully opened.

This is a top view with the top closed and latched.

And this is just a general outside view looking at the front.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
CeaserGirl938
For some reason, I can't find the edit button on my other post. Anyway, all the edges inside the box will be sealed off as soon as I make another trip to home depot. The front has screen on it as well as wire on the inside, in-case I ever put things such as crickets in it. I see them jump around a lot but I've never seen them jump up so I didn't feel the need for the screen on top also.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
CeaserGirl938
Alright, few new questions.

Should I start off with a baby snake and raise it?

What size water dish should I get?

I have some bamboo that grows in my yard on its own. Can I use thicker parts of it and hollow them out for a hide?

What, if any, types of vitamins should I feed my snake?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
jameseallenii@gmail.com
sometimes, baby snakes bite more often than older snakes. Not out of aggression, just kind of exploring, the y don't have hands, so their mouth works just fine.

And the water dish should be big enough for the snake to sit in and be completely submerged. My corns don't do this very often, but i've seen them both sit in their water dish for a whole day before.

Any wood that you put in an enclosure should be put in the oven first(~200 degrees, for a half hour or so), to kill any bacteria/micro-organisms living in the wood. You can buy bamboo hides at a petshop, so from the yard is probably fine.

And the only thing I've ever seen or heard about snakes and vitamins was that for baby snakes, just to make sure they are super healty, you can toss pinkies in calcium powder. But snakes eat and digest their food(rodents) whole, which means they are digesting all the bones as well, so they get plenty of calcium, and vitamins A and D from the bones. As long as their prey is healthy, a snake should be getting all it needs from a mousey.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
FosterHerpetological
I am glad you are asking questions, many people do not, but just saying, if you have the space for a corn snake, then you have the spce for a ball python, they do not require much more space at all, so if you really wanted a ball you could probably get one

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
WebSlave
If you put a baby corn snake in that cage, your next message here will be to ask about where to look for your escaped pet.

And PLEASE don't put crickets in there if you have a corn snake inside. BTW, crickets don't have to jump up to the lid, they will CLIMB up there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!